PDA

View Full Version : blue tooth

huggytree
12-01-2011, 07:31 PM
i spent hours on the phone the other day....an electrician friend of mine asked why i didnt have a blue tooth....

i bought one today from Amazon.com....so we will see how it works

i worry if i am working while talking i will say the wrong thing or screw up actual work im doing.....i do think it will help while driving...many times i drive, talk and write in my notebook....i am quite good at driving w/ my knee....this will free up 1 hand to steer with

anyone had any pos or neg experiences with a blue tooth?

i got the basic motorola one for $39

greenoak
12-01-2011, 08:01 PM
driving with your knee is soooo wrong....be careful out there...

Russ in Vancouver
12-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Ive been using a BT for many years now and have found that it is a very valuable tool while on the job.
The only negatives that I have experienced are:
1. when it unmarries from your phone it will cause poor reception and transmitting.
2. lower end models have lower end batteries that drain fast and take a long time to charge.
3. when I forget it at home or in the car.

I use it most while driving or walking to and from here and there, I also use it at home alot while I am cooking, on the puter etc.

If you get a decent BT, it can tell you who is calling, hold calls, redial last number--I can even tell my BT who to call in my iphone phonebook.

good luck

billbenson
12-01-2011, 10:01 PM
For the people that keep them on all day, it sure seems uncomfortable.

vangogh
12-02-2011, 01:02 AM
huggy I used a blue tooth headset and am very happy with it. I bought one toward the higher end. I don't have the same issues with driving, but it does help me stay hands free while I'm on the phone. For me the need is typing.

Sometimes it's a little finicky and disconnects so I have to hop into the settings on my phone and reconnect it. Hardly a big deal. I don't wear mine all the time, but it's pretty comfortable and I have worn it a few hours straight at times. I used one previously that worked well, but people on the other end would hear a lot of background noise so it wasn't good when I was outdoors. The one I have now has some noise cancellation features so it's no longer a problem. The battery lasts about 6 hours and it's pretty quick to recharge.

huggytree
12-02-2011, 07:20 AM
i plan on wearing it full time while i work (6-10 hours a day)

i will be answering all my calls with it......i will have to test it well to make sure customers can hear me clearly....i dont assume for $39 that i got a high end one....battery is supposed to last 8 hours continuous use.

vangogh
12-02-2011, 10:44 AM
The 6 hour battery was the actual talk time. It'll last much longer if I'm not actively using it. You should see more than 8 hours use as well. Odds are once you're used to wearing it all day you won't find it uncomfortable.

Steve B
12-04-2011, 07:30 AM
I tried one a while ago and didn't like it. Everyone could tell I was on it and it seemed to bother them. I bought a good one at the time (5 years ago). Since then, I just use the old fashioned corded headsets with the boom microphone that goes in front of my mouth. I only use while I'm driving on long trips. I usually pick them up at truck stops for about $19. I then sit on them and buy another on the next trip :(

greenoak
12-04-2011, 08:44 AM
i wouldnt like to have a worker in my house talking to another client...that would seem kind of wierd to me....i would want his full attention if he was say....working on my wiring....
i hope dh doesnt get one, i think they look pretty odd and show offy....

SC93
12-04-2011, 12:00 PM
Steve,
They have that same style in blue tooth at truck stops. On a side note: we were in Hazard, Ky a few weeks ago.... I love it there.

billbenson
12-04-2011, 01:36 PM
i wouldnt like to have a worker in my house talking to another client...that would seem kind of wierd to me....i would want his full attention if he was say....working on my wiring....
i hope dh doesnt get one, i think they look pretty odd and show offy....
If they are self employed, I would assume any good business person would take some calls while working.

SC93
12-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Personally, I take them while working but even when I used to get 1 call every 3-5 minutes I never talked in a customers house. I always went to my van.

Russ in Vancouver
12-05-2011, 01:43 AM
When I go into a 1 on 1 meeting, usually I will remove my BT if it rings and not take calls during. I tell them when I am with them, they will get my full attention. This helps alot for later on when they call repeatedly with loads of silly questions.......I can then let it go to voice mail hoping they caught the hint that I am likely with another client and wont answer the phone.

greenoak
12-05-2011, 06:29 AM
when im out on the road working...say at an auction...i take calls from the store..hardly ever and usually at the wrong moment.LOL.. but they do have the ability to get in touch with me..... i sure wouldnt take all the calls that come into the store... but we are a business with hours and someone always answers our phone.