PDA

View Full Version : Happy Thanksgiving!

vangogh
11-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the U.S. Happy Thursday to everyone outside the U.S.

I'm watching football and waiting for guests to arrive for dinner. We're a smallish group with lots of food. Who has plans today and what are they? Are you a large group or a small one? Is Thanksgiving at your place or are you traveling today?

To our Canadian neighbors fill us in on your Thanksgiving from last month. What's it like? What is the celebration about.

For everyone else is there something like Thanksgiving you celebrate?

Happy Thanksgiving all. Enjoy the turkey and trimmings.

Evan
11-24-2011, 07:36 PM
Happy Thanksgiving! =)

cbscreative
11-25-2011, 12:43 PM
Looks like the party here didn't get much action in favor of family gatherings. My Thanksgiving was great. Got together with my wife's side and the unusual part (for recent years) is that EVERYONE was there...my wife's parents, all the siblings, every child of the siblings, end even the only grandchild as of yet. It was not only the first time in years that everyone was there, it was the first time that 4 generations were represented unless you count many years ago before my wife's grandmother passed away when our own kids were much younger.

With so many of our children being in their 20's, I'm sure you can imagine the near impossible odds of getting the entire gang together at one time. It's usually most of us, but this was a rare event to have everyone there. Food...lot's of it, but the family was the highlight.

Now I've got plenty of work to make up for my day off. :)

mailorder
11-25-2011, 04:00 PM
Thanksgiving was great this year. We went down to the food shelter about 8 am and my wife and I made and decorated 40 cakes. We also were in charge of making the cornbread for the dressing and making biscuits for dinner. A bunch of volunteers did not show up so we cut way back on the cake decorating to help fix the real food. I think they served around 500 people but were only planning on 300. By the end we were serving anything we could heat up and put on there plates.

It ended up being much more stressful that other years but at the same time I'm looking forward till we get to do it all over again for Christmas. I just hope they have a better guess on how many people we will be serving and volunteers show up if they sign up to.

vangogh
11-26-2011, 10:28 AM
What a great thing to do. Sucks that some of the volunteers didn't show, increasing the stress, but sounds like you managed and I assume everyone was thankful for a good meal.

SnellExperts
11-26-2011, 11:34 AM
Thanksgiving was great this year for me also. I just got back from visiting family in PA who I haven't seen in over 3 years, so it was good to re-connect with everyone again.

vangogh
11-27-2011, 11:54 PM
Sounds like a good time. I visit my family every year at this time. I chose Thanksgiving when I was still working for others. It was a good way to get in a week of vacation and only take a few days off. I don't need to think that way now, but it's become tradition.

SnellExperts
12-04-2011, 12:20 AM
Sounds like a good time. I visit my family every year at this time. I chose Thanksgiving when I was still working for others. It was a good way to get in a week of vacation and only take a few days off. I don't need to think that way now, but it's become tradition.

I just bought a new car this week, and now that I have a more reliable form of transportation I will definitely be visiting up there more often. 3 years was too much time away from the family. I felt like an outsider up there :( But I can now fix that :)