PDA

View Full Version : iPad 1st Generation or iPad 2nd Generation?

Blessed
10-18-2011, 05:22 PM
So... I have this client who is great and who really appreciates my work and who occasionally does nice bonus things for me at the end of a job. Usually a gift certificate for a pedicure or to a restaurant or department store... This time she sent me an iPad 1st Generation with 64GB memory and said that if I'd rather I can exchange it for a 2nd Generation iPad with 16GB memory!!! I am still in a bit of shock over this nice of a bonus - happy shock! But anyway I've got to decide and thought I'd ask if anyone here has some thoughts on that issue :)

greenoak
10-18-2011, 08:05 PM
so nice...whichever, enjoy..

vangogh
10-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Jenn I have a first generation with 32GB on it and in the year and a half I've owned it I don't think I filled it with 16GB. You'll fill it up faster if you load more video, music, and images on it so how much space you need will depend on how you use it. If you sign up for iCloud your music can be stored on the iCloud servers so you don't need to save everything on the iPad itself.

The iPad 2 is definitely nicer than the iPad 1. It's not necessarily so far ahead that you need to upgrade, but given the choice all things being equal I would choose 2 over 1. The difference in price between 32GB and 16GB is $100. Could you offer to pay that $100 to get the 32GB model? It's not 64GB, but it's probably more than enough. You might even be able to take it to Apple for an exchange if you want to keep the client out of it.

Either is really going to be a great bonus. You probably won't know how much storage you'll need until using it awhile. My guess is you'll be fine with 16GB unless you plan on storing a lot of video. If you do think you'll want the extra storage know that the first generation is still a great device.

Blessed
10-18-2011, 10:20 PM
The main thing I'd like the iPad 2 for is the camera - not for taking pictures but for being able to do Facetime or Skype with my family. However... after talking to my niece who has an iPad 2 I'll probably end up just sticking with the iPad 1. She said that Facetime and Skype are both fuzzy on the iPad - that Skype simply works better on her laptop. So we'll probably just keep doing Skype on the main computer and Facetime on my husbands iPhone - since he's got a 4. I'm stuck with an iPhone 3S - but it works and is much better than any other phone I've ever had! I finally upgraded to a smartphone back in August - I had to have email access when I wasn't home! Now I wish I'd done the iPhone 4, but oh well... there's always next year, right? :)

As for storage... I use quite a bit of storage on the main computer - storing graphic files with high res photos in them and etc... I'm not sure how that will transfer over to the iPad and how I use it and how much storage I need there, but I guess we'll find out!

I appreciate your input Vangogh - it does help! And you are right - this is a great bonus.

vangogh
10-18-2011, 11:47 PM
All your reasons make sense. I'm sure you'll be happy with the first generation. That's what I have and I didn't feel the need to upgrade. I find new ways to use it all the time. You'll find there is something great about being able to touch the internet instead of using a mouse.

I do have my order in for an iPhone 4s that's on it's way here as we type. :) My 3gs is a couple+ years old and it was time for an upgrade. Too bad you couldn't wait a couple more months for your phone. The 3gs is now being given away free on AT&T with a 2 year contract. The 4 is only $99 on both AT&T and Verizon also with the 2 year contract.

KristineS
10-19-2011, 09:46 AM
Wow, what a nice bonus. How cool!

Blessed
10-19-2011, 01:44 PM
I do have my order in for an iPhone 4s that's on it's way here as we type. :) My 3gs is a couple+ years old and it was time for an upgrade. Too bad you couldn't wait a couple more months for your phone. The 3gs is now being given away free on AT&T with a 2 year contract. The 4 is only $99 on both AT&T and Verizon also with the 2 year contract.

Oh I wanted to wait! I wouldn't have done the 4S - although it sounds great! - but when Hubby decided to upgrade he wouldn't be put off even a month so I'm stuck with the 3GS - it works, I just wish it had the forward facing camera. Ah well, details... one of these days I'll get a nicer one :)

Blessed
10-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Wow, what a nice bonus. How cool!

I'm so excited about it! Now I've got to figure out how to use the thing. Figure out how to do word processing and spreadsheets and play with pictures... I pretty much figured I'd never have an iPad since it still makes more sense for me to spend money on a laptop than the iPad so I hadn't paid that much attention to what was available for them, so now I'm researching in between graphic design work, homeschooling, and diaper changing :)

vangogh
10-19-2011, 07:35 PM
You'll figure out how to use it quickly. It's pretty easy. You'll want to install some apps based on what you want to do. I don't currently have a word processor or spreadsheet on it, but I'll eventually add Pages and Numbers. They're $10 each. There are a lot of apps for working with images, most are probably under $5. You'll find yourself visiting the app store on the iPad for awhile.

MostHeather
10-25-2011, 01:54 PM
What a nice surprise for you, Blessed! You truly are blessed to have such a nice client!

vangogh - what are some of the features or apps on the iPad 2 that help you with business? It seems like there's an endless array of customization that you can do with this device..

vangogh
10-26-2011, 01:14 AM
Jenn you've probably already made the decision, but I discovered another reason for the iPad 2 tonight. It requires that you also have an Apple TV so if you don't this won't work.

The iPad2 and the iPhone4s can mirror what's on their screen to the tv via AirPlay (part of iOS). Apple TV has AirPlay built in so you can send whatever is on your iPad screen to the tv. I don't have the iPad2, but I do have an iPhone4s and earlier tonight I was playing games on the tv using the phone as the controller. There are more uses than games of course, but that's all I've tried at the moment. And again it's only possible if you also have an Apple TV.