PDA

View Full Version : i cloud

greenoak
10-14-2011, 09:21 AM
the first reports from theicloud dont sound too good..... i really want/need this to work for me on my pc.... sounds like a lot of problems so far just for the basics...

vangogh
10-14-2011, 11:09 AM
I upgraded both my iPhone and iPad and had no problems. The first night the upgrade to iOS 5 was available lots of people tried to upgrade and because of the heavy traffic a few people couldn't finish the upgrade and received an error. It's possible something similar will happen today as everyone who gets the new iPhone tries to initialize it at the same time. Another day or two and it should be fine again.

After the upgrade when your go to use your iPad (or iPhone) you'll have to make a few quick selections, one being whether or not to set up iCloud. All you have to do is login with your existing account and you'll have an iCloud account.

I like the upgrade so far. There are lots of new features that I'm still learning and everything seems faster than it had been on both devices

The main thing I think you want is Photostream. It was off by default so you need to look in your settings for iCloud and then turn it on. I'm not entirely sure what program you'll use on your PC to receive the images there, but it is supposed to work on PCs. Maybe you have to go through iTunes or maybe there's a specific program called Photostream. That part I don't know since I'm on a Mac.

I only upgraded the iPhone late last night so I haven't taken any pictures to see how Photostream works, but again so far everything is going well for me with the upgrade to iOS 5.

greenoak
10-14-2011, 08:29 PM
i was just seeing the headlines this morning about the problems.... hopefully you are right about it just being a traffic problem....
yes, i will be wanting to see how it will work on my pc...and how i can get to my pc files from my ipad...im planning to wait a while and get some users feedback on that....

vangogh
10-14-2011, 11:52 PM
It was just a traffic problem. Most people are reporting the upgrade is working fine now. It was really just Wednesday when everyone tried to upgrade as soon as it was available.

You're not going to be able to get to every file on your PC through iCloud. It's only going to be for some things. You'll need to download the iCloud Control Panel for Windows (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1455) from Apple and then you'll be able to use iCloud with your photos, contacts, and calendars. For the latter 2 you'll need to use Outlook for your contacts and calendar information.

If you use iTunes for music, movies, podcasts, and whatever else you can get through iTunes those files should back up and transfer too. It won't be an every file thing though. If you want that then you probably want to sign up for either Dropbox of Sugarsync. They both let you create a folder(s?) which both your computer and iPad have access to. Anything in the folder is instantly seen by both.

greenoak
10-15-2011, 05:10 AM
sounds real good....DOES WINDOWS MEAN PC INSTEAD OF MAC? i want to hear some user reviews before i try this....