PDA

View Full Version : Streaming video

Spider
09-25-2011, 08:49 PM
There's an app for everything, right? so does anyone know how I can copy streaming video? Some online training I am doing comes on streamed video and I want to copy it onto my laptop so I can carry it with me and view it offline. I have paid for the training, so I'm not trying to steal it, and it could only be used for the intended purpose - my continuing education.

I have iTunes, if that helps.

ADDED: I also have Windows Media Player (part of Windows 7, I suppose) and it seems as if it is possible to record streaming video but is not clear how - does anyone know?

billbenson
09-25-2011, 10:50 PM
Nothing legal. Thats kind of the idea behind streaming.

Spider
09-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Okay. How about illegal? I've paid for this material and can see it streamed so I don't believe I will be breaking the law.

It seems to me from the progress bar that when the stream hits my computer, it is downloading faster than I am viewing it. That means the file is being recorded on my harddrive, probably in the temporary files section. If I could identify which file it is,I should be able to change the name and move it to another part of the hardrive, No?

kerrylinux
09-26-2011, 08:33 AM
That means the file is being recorded on my harddrive, probably in the temporary files section. If I could identify which file it is,I should be able to change the name and move it to another part of the hardrive, No?

In principle, you're correct. Look out for a file with a .swf extension while your viewer is still active. Then you can copy this file to a different location. Copying is safer than moving as your player is still accessing the original file.

Spider
10-03-2011, 04:03 PM
I haven't been able to find any files with swf extension. Maybe they are hidden files, but Windows 7 is not nearly so easy to use as XP was and I cannot even see where I can view hidden files. Of course, I don't know that they are swf files. Maybe they are flv or mp4 or some other video format. It doesn't help that I cannot find WHERE they might be on my computer.

I have come across the following, though --

-- DEBUT from nchsoftware.com
-- AUDIALS from audials.com
-- STREAM DOWN from cocsoft.com

Does anyone know about any of these? Not sure about downloading from unknown sites, although I cannot see any red flags on their sites.

billbenson
10-03-2011, 04:29 PM
.swf is a Flash file. To find them on a site search for .swf in the source code.

Spider
10-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Unfortunately, Bill, the file is not coded as a .swf file - it is embedded as "XYZ.com/player/b91e994g/" (altered - I'll PM the correct code, if it helps) and all the direct request gives me is "Forbidden Video." I don't see how I can get it from the source. That's why I am asking about copying software which - I think - will copy it as it arrives at my computer as a legitimate download under my legitimate password.

billbenson
10-03-2011, 08:59 PM
When you download it, can you save it to file? There are a ton of downloaders and file converters. Beyond that you are beyond my area of expertise.PM me the actual code or link and I'll see if I have any suggestions.

Spider
10-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Oh, Bill! If I could save it to file, that's what I would do! There's nowhere that I can find that allows "Save as..." or "Save target as..." like they do with plain graphics. Logic tells me that streaming video is already being saved on my computer as a temporary file but I cannot find it. Searching for .swf reveals nothing.

I'll PM the whole <object> from the source code.

Spider
10-03-2011, 11:27 PM
Billbenson has been a naughty boy and has exceeded his alloted private message space. VanGogh will not let Billbenson receive any more messages until he tidies his room.

billbenson
10-04-2011, 10:30 PM
All 173 picobits of messages have been deleted and you may now send me a PM Spider

BeSeenLocally
10-05-2011, 08:28 AM
Have you tried Down Load Helper?

Spider
10-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Have you tried Down Load Helper?Thank you, yes - but Downloadhelper is a Firefox app and I prefer MSIE.

Our new contributor, mfine, has been most helpful and the problem is now solved. Thanks everyone for your efforts.

mfine
10-06-2011, 02:18 AM
Thank you, yes - but Downloadhelper is a Firefox app and I prefer MSIE.

Our new contributor, mfine, has been most helpful and the problem is now solved. Thanks everyone for your efforts.

I'm glad that worked out for you. I had customers all the time who wanted to include this video from this source or that one on their website to help educate or inform their customers, so I was always having to be creative when it came to solving those problems because sometimes it could be challenging. It was also always worth it because I discovered that if you put a video that a customer wanted on their website, it makes them super happy with you. For a certain type of customer, it's like the Holy Grail. In fact, it worked so well, I started collecting certain kinds of videos and offering to put them on customer's websites when they were unhappy with something, just because it made them so pleased. Whatever works, right? It's their happiness that matters.