PDA

View Full Version : World's largest art prize

cbscreative
09-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Yesterday, and running for two weeks, a venue for the largest art prize in the world began for the 3rd consecutive year. The previous record for largest prize award was $75k. This event has a first place award of nearly a quarter million and pulls in both local and international artists.

For those who caught my thread last May where Grand Rapids, MI pulled off the world record for a lipdub, you'll need to bear with me on the pride I have in this community. It is an awesome place to live.

This is a completely unique event in many ways. In addition to the world's largest prize award, the event turns the entire downtown area into an art venue. Both indoors in hotels, retail shops, restaurants, banks, office buildings, etc. and outdoors in nearly every available location for several square miles, art from thousands of artists is everywhere. Human visitors number in the hundreds of thousands.

There is another important and unique feature. The winners are decided not by some snobby art critic, but by public vote. It empowers every citizen and visitor to determine what they like best. What a revolutionary idea! No wonder it was an instant hit the first year and grows exponentially each year. Many of the pieces from the past are now permanent additions to the city landscape.

See the ArtPrize site (www.artprize.org) for more and view pictures though they don't do it any justice. If you can get here, now would be an ideal time to visit Grand Rapids.

KristineS
09-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Grand Rapids is a nice city. I've not heard of this competition though. It sounds pretty cool.

cbscreative
09-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Feel free to come down our way, Kristine. Interestingly, my wife was up your way this week. She and my sister-in-law did a one day trip from Tue-Wed afternoon. TC is a nice town too.

KristineS
09-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Traverse City is a nice place, and we have some fun events and festivals up here too. Michigan has more going for it than a lot of people think.