PDA

View Full Version : Multiple personalities

Stu_Upton
09-15-2011, 09:55 AM
Do people apply different styles to the different networks they are on?

Displaying a consistency to language and style is obviously important as how and what you are doing is probably a driving reason behind why people like or follow you but do you work like a social network onion or do you think the same persona should be applied across all networks you have a presence on?

By ‘social network onion’ I mean do you approach your most public facing network, let’s say Twitter, with 140 characters of pretty formal waiting until you have built up a rapport with an individual before peeling back a layer and inviting them into the ‘inner facebook circle’ where things are a little more friendly?

vangogh
09-15-2011, 11:36 AM
I'm pretty much the same person everywhere. I don't try to change who I am regardless of what social network I'm on or even between online and offline. That doesn't mean I'm exactly the same across every community I talk to. For example if I'm sitting in a bar with a bunch of friends I'm probably going to talk and act differently than I would at a formal family dinner. Each place has a set of rules about what is and isn't appropriate. I'm still the same person at both, but it's probably a slightly different side of me that each gets to see.

Same thing with social networking. You should be you on all of them. You shouldn't be developing multiple personalities. But you should figure out what goes in the community and share the side of yourself that best fits with each community.

KristineS
09-15-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm me, everywhere. I think the only difference would be tailoring the message to the requirements of the medium, for instance, I'm more concise on Twitter because I have to be, but I think the same personality comes through.

websonalized
09-19-2011, 02:34 PM
I am in transition. Before I was trying to keep personal and bizz separated. And therefore I had different styles of communication. But the more I develop my business, which is primarily internet base, the more I am merging the two. It just seems cheaper, emotionally, intellectually, in every way. I can imagine that vangogh has a less complex life just because there is continuity throughout her/his interactions. Now, I have friends and family that contact me for bizz, and I am left wondering, well, do I contact them trough bizz email, or through personal email? DO I add to facebook bizz or twitter bizz, you get what I mean?

So, I guess the choice may depend on how much energy, discipline and memory you have.

KristineS
09-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Oh, I should clarify, I'm me everywhere, but there is business me, because I work for someone else, and personal me. If I had my own business, then it would most likely all be one. Since I work for someone else, I do have separate accounts.

vangogh
09-20-2011, 10:45 AM
No less complex life here. Most of my social media accounts are business only. I don't find much use for them in my personal life. When I say be yourself I simply mean be honest. Even in a business account you can be yourself. I don't think you should try to be who you think others want you to be.

KristineS
09-20-2011, 01:06 PM
No less complex life here. Most of my social media accounts are business only. I don't find much use for them in my personal life. When I say be yourself I simply mean be honest. Even in a business account you can be yourself. I don't think you should try to be who you think others want you to be.

Definitely agree with that. My personality and beliefs are the same no matter where I'm posting, and whether I'm posting in my corporate capacity or for personal reasons. There are just some subjects that I might mention on a personal feed that I wouldn't mention on a professional feed. That's all.

vangogh
09-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Oh yeah. I wouldn't talk about the same things on a business profile as I would a personal profile, the same way my conversations with my mom are different from those with my friends. Sometimes the conversations are the same and sometimes they aren't. Just depends what's appropriate given the company.

KristineS
09-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Exactly. So you can always be your core self no matter where you're posting, but the presentation and/or subject matter might alter a bit. That's all.

greenoak
10-03-2011, 08:16 AM
i have to hold back.... i would be too out there and raunchy and sarcastic if i didnt..... and im in the bible belt with tons of sarah palin fans, facebook tells me these things, so i cant go there either!!!! still our website and business facebook flavor is a little quirky and outside the normal box, i hope...