PDA

View Full Version : bad spelling

greenoak
08-02-2011, 08:38 AM
im digging into google analytics and tryng to get up to speed on it..... the # 1 search for us is a wrong spelling of our name......i want to learn about this tool....

vangogh
08-02-2011, 11:04 AM
How is your name being misspelled? Is it a common typo? Are people leaving off the 's' at the end?

seolman
08-02-2011, 12:17 PM
i nver hav speling problims - are u ser it's an ishoo?

greenoak
08-02-2011, 05:22 PM
we are green oak antiques.....the first search is green oakS antiques.....
funny seolman...dh spell checks all our stuff....and i cut down lots of his paragraphs....

vangogh
08-02-2011, 05:50 PM
That sounds like a branding thing then. Some people seem to think your name is Green Oaks. I assume you'd prefer they know the right name.

1. Might as well register the domain greenoaksantiques.com, which you can redirect to your main domain. If people are searching for you as greenoaks it's likely some are typing greenoaks directly into their address bar.

2. Emphasize the word "oak" in your marketing. Use a different color for that word along on your site, your business card, flyers, etc. We did that here on the forum. There are other ways to emphasize the one word besides color. The main thing is to make sure it contrasts visually with the other words in your name. When Steve designed the logo he made sure the .net was a different color to help reinforce the extension.

3. Always speak the name clearly. I'm sure you always speak the right name, but again you can emphasize it's oak instead of oaks with your speech.

Just a few thoughts. The main thing is to emphasize the singular oak instead of the plural oaks. It probably won't happen overnight, but with persistence you can get the people who think you're greenoaks to realize your greenoak.

seolman
08-02-2011, 05:55 PM
1. Might as well register the domain greenoaksantiques.com, which you can redirect to your main domain. If people are searching for you as greenoaks it's likely some are typing greenoaks directly into their address bar.

Excellent point!

nealrm
08-02-2011, 08:56 PM
I would also look into greenoakantique.com and a few other alternatives. It's $10 per year per URL. Why not cover all the bases?

greenoak
08-02-2011, 09:33 PM
since the bad spelling was first, cant i assume that they are finding me with it? .... 3 or 4 different greenoak combinations were found.... there wouldnt be much competition for green oak so i probably do get the oddball green oak combos anyway.

vangogh
08-02-2011, 09:47 PM
If you found people using the misspelling in your analytics then yes people are obviously finding you through search engines for the misspelling. But search engines aren't the only way people might find your site. For $10 a year doesn't it make sense to pay for greenoaksantiques.com? If it even results in one additional customer over the year isn't it worth it?

To me the more important thing though is getting your customers to remember your real name. I would think that would be important to you.

greenoak
08-03-2011, 01:02 AM
sounds good....but i dont see it as a problem...i guess i dont care what my customers call me...