PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Senior Project

Ashley8824
07-31-2011, 09:52 PM
Hello everyone!

I am currently a college senior, graduating this coming August. For my semester-long Senior Project, I am exploring the effectiveness of social media, particularly Facebook, for small businesses. I would deeply appreciate it if you can complete a very, very brief survey, created in Survey Monkey; the link can be found below. To be honest, I have had a great deal of trouble getting into direct contact with small business owners given that you all are very busy individuals; as a result, I am attempting to use this online forum as my means.

Facebook for Small Businesses Questionnaire Survey (http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9TP7KD6)

Again thank you all for your time! It truly means a lot.

vangogh
07-31-2011, 11:49 PM
I filled it out. Ashely if you have any additional questions feel free to ask right here. I promise to answer and hopefully others will too.

For anyone who reads this it really is a short survey. It took less than 5 minutes. Simple and easy.

greenoak
08-01-2011, 09:25 AM
odd that even in serious college work they use fewer and less incorrectly....i guess i have to accept this....it sounds like aint or you'uns to me...
i know its just a small sign about our language...

vangogh
08-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Really? You're criticizing how someone else uses the language in writing?

greenoak
08-01-2011, 10:54 PM
right...lol...my bad....but im not a college or a copywriter...

vangogh
08-02-2011, 10:10 AM
Ashley isn't a college or a copywriter either.

kerrylinux
08-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Ashley, would you please publish the results of your study here, for all to see.

Thanks.

greenoak
08-02-2011, 05:26 PM
i would like to see it too....we love our facebook page...and give it a high ranking in our marketing...

<please stop adding links to your site or Facebook page in posts. You can add them to your signature>

greenoak
08-03-2011, 01:40 AM
sorry...didnt know that rule..???.what is the rule?
i figured she would be interested in a small business facebook page...i wasnt looking at it as an ad for me... ....

vangogh
08-03-2011, 10:37 AM
I don't know if there's a specific rule written, but the idea is if you want to show links to your site we ask that they be placed in your signature instead of being dropped into posts. Otherwise it encourages spammers to join just to drop links into posts.

Spider
08-03-2011, 12:32 PM
http://www.small-business-forum.net/forum-news-announcements/43-tos-forum-rules.html

greenoak
08-03-2011, 05:30 PM
got it....dont worry,im not trying to get facebook fans on here....i did think the link was appropriate to the discussion tho..if she is writing a paper on small business facebook pages...that was my mistake..... .i will never do it again...i have wondered why some other links ive put on to sHARE have dissappeared too....
and if she would want to talk to me im open for that too...since she said she was having trouble finding small businesses to talk to...ashley, we have 1600 fans and use our facebook A LOT...JUST PM ME ...

Patrysha
08-03-2011, 05:53 PM
got it....dont worry,im not trying to get facebook fans on here....

We know that...the computer doesn't...it can't really tell the difference between a long time poster to the forum and someone who is doing it for self promotion. It's not personal, code doesn't differentiate.

greenoak
08-03-2011, 07:34 PM
im not putting any more links on....but didnt this thread start with a link from a new person?

vangogh
08-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Ann first know I don't think you were attempting to do anything wrong. Let me try to explain things.

Links that you want to add more than once, like your Facebook page, the home page of your site, your blog belong in your signature and only your signature. It's ok to add a link to an article or to a survey like this one, because it's a one time only link. However we generally don't want people starting threads or posts to link back to their own sites. Technically you can say that's what this thread is, but in my judgement it was fine. It was simply a college student asking for help and I thought we could all help her.

In general if you're going to link to your own content somewhere it belong in your signature. At times it's ok to link to an article you wrote in a post if your article expands on the topic being discussed. Ideally you would provide a brief summary in your post here, enough that someone could follow what you're saying without having to visit the article and then provide the link to the article to provide further details for anyone interested in more.

Having said all the above one rule trumps all. It's always going to be at the discretion of staff whether a link is allowed or not. Some links might break a rule and still be allowed and others might not break any rules and be removed.

I hope that clears things up.

Now has anyone taken the time to fill out the survey besides me? I think it would be nice if we could help Ashley.

greenoak
08-03-2011, 09:01 PM
i did.
.also i would like to hear her ideas about social media ..

vangogh
08-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Hopefully she comes back. Because of the link this thread automatically went to moderation and needed approval. She might have been gone before I had a chance to approve it and may not even be aware it's live.

Spider
08-03-2011, 11:21 PM
...Now has anyone taken the time to fill out the survey besides me? I think it would be nice if we could help Ashley.I did at the time. I thought it was a well-thought-out survey.

KristineS
08-04-2011, 04:45 PM
I took the survey.

elsoft
09-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Filled in the survey.Im curious to see the summary of the results noted from the survey.It will be interesting.Good Luck Ashley.Hope to hear from you soon.