PDA

View Full Version : Ie9

jamesray50
06-10-2011, 11:32 PM
I upgraded to IE9 and I can't find the magnifer at the bottom right of the screen. I use this all the time. Does anyone know if it was eliminated or moved somewhere else? They also got rid of the favorites tab. I saw where I could import my favorites into the bookmarks. What is the advantage of IE9? So far, I don't like it. I don't like the way it looks and the features I used are gone.

Spider
06-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Jo Ellen - search this forum for IE9. A little while ago there was a brief discussion on the new IE9 and an easy way to uninstall it and restore IE8. For me, I wait until they've ironed out all the bugs before taking on any new software.

vangogh
06-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Like Frederick said there's another recent thread here with info about IE9.

Before uninstalling and moving back to an older version I'd suggest using IE9 for awhile and see if you can get used to the changes. Things do change and sometimes we just need to get used to the changes.

With the magnifier did it increase the size of the entire web page? If so then hitting ctrl+ will probably do the same thing. I think bookmarks will be the same thing as favorites, perhaps in a different place and with a different way to access the pages you want to save.

Here's what Microsoft says are the top reasons to install IE9 (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/help/ie-9/9-reasons-to-get-internet-explorer-9). There are links at the top of the page to see the features of IE9 and compare it to other browsers.

As someone who builds websites I can tell you IE9 catches up with some coding standards, meaning you'll begin seeing some websites the way they were intended to be seen instead of seeing some fallback design missing certain enhancements. It's also the only version of Internet Explorer capable of rendering web pages the way they'll be designed in the years ahead.

It's up to you if you want to roll back to IE8, however as someone who's upgraded many different browsers many times I'd suggest sticking with it for at least a week or two. Often when you upgrade a feature you used seems to be gone, but has really be relocated or a new feature does what the old feature did. Usually the new outweighs what's been removed, though you generally have to give the new a little time to get used to it. Try using IE9 for a week or two before deciding whether you like it or not.

jamesray50
06-11-2011, 12:17 PM
I don't mind the favorites being gone since I can use the bookmarks, but I use the magnifyer all the time. I'll google it to see where it can be found, surely the didn't get rid of it.
Thanks.

vangogh
06-11-2011, 01:31 PM
What does the magnifier do? Does it increase the size of the entire page? If it does then try holding down the ctrl key and then hitting the + key. That's works for all other browsers and I think it does in IE as well.

ctrl + increases size
ctrl - decrease size
ctrl 0 reverts to default size

Spider
06-11-2011, 02:26 PM
I use the magnifier (I tend to call it the zoom control) all the time, too. But I access it holding down the Ctrl button and rolling the wheel on my mouse. For those of you who no longer use a mounse and like the touchpad, ctrl + scroll up or down zooms in and out.

tylerhutchinson
06-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Sorry don't use IE. I use Firefox now. I would suggest maybe moving to it also. 100 times better.

Spider
06-11-2011, 04:19 PM
I would suggest not, but everyone has their favorite, and IE is and has always been my favorite. because I believe it to be superior. But I'm not going to recommend anyone use something other than what they feel most comfortable using. Jo Ellen, if you like Internet Explorer better, then continue to use it. All-in-all, there is no beter this or better that - there is only what you like best.

nealrm
06-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Look in the 'view' menu. You will see both 'Zoom' and 'Text Size'. The zoom will increase or decrease all features on a webpage. The 'Text Size' will increase on decrease only the text on the page. The works better on pages that are properly designed to handle text sizing.

cbscreative
06-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Simple solution coming right up...

Point anywhere on the title bar (the very top of your browser window) then right click. Look for Status Bar on the list in the popup dialog and click it. The Zoom tool will then be exactly where you are used to seeing it.

For whatever reason, the Status bar is not on by default in IE9. The simple procedure above turns it on.