PDA

View Full Version : So glad to finally say "good-bye" to computer trouble for awhile!

Blessed
06-03-2011, 09:35 AM
My 6 year-old, heavily used laptop finally bit the dust. It's been giving me fits ever since I had the hard drive replaced last November. Now I have a 27" iMac with the 3.4Ghz processor, 8 gig of ram and more hard drive space than I have on my backup drive.

It's nice to have a fast computer again. Next I'll be buying a new backup drive and another laptop, since it's kinda hard to lug the iMac around! :)

Been missing the forum, I've spent a few minutes last night and this morning catching up on some of the discussion, I've got a lot more to go through!

KristineS
06-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Congrats on the new computer. I'm getting that itch too, but haven't given in yet because my budget really isn't open to that right now.

Still, a girl can dream....

tylerhutchinson
06-03-2011, 02:42 PM
Congrats! And glad to meet you!

Blessed
06-03-2011, 03:28 PM
Oh Kristine - my budget wasn't that open, but business demanded it and I had a little help from my Dad - so thankful for that too!

Glad to meet you Tyler - you seem to be an active contributor since you joined!

Dan Furman
06-05-2011, 12:00 AM
Congrats on the new computer. I'm getting that itch too, but haven't given in yet because my budget really isn't open to that right now.

Me too - I used to buy a new one every two years, but that seemed wasteful. Now it's 3.5 years, and I'm really feeling it ;) The only thing that keeps me from buying one right now is the thought of transferring all of my stuff and getting it just the way I like it. I hate that tedious stuff. I once put off buying a new TV for 6 months because I didn't want to deal w/ the mess of wires behind it.

MostHeather
06-05-2011, 07:02 AM
I'm happy to hear that you've resolved your computer problems. There's nothing worse than a wonky computer - especially if you need to do work.
That's the time that a same as cash deal at Best Buy can really come in handy ;)

greenoak
06-05-2011, 09:34 AM
great jenn..... we are on a network and when it gets groggy it just gums everything up....

MostHeather
06-06-2011, 08:12 AM
Kristine - I checked out your weight loss blog - it's fabulous that you've decided to make lifestyle changes. How is your journey going so far?

KristineS
06-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Heather,

Not so well at the moment, which is kind of why the blogs been pretty dead. I've had some health issues, which hopefully will be solved by doing a procedure on my heart next Monday. Then I can get back to pursuing weight loss in a more aggressive fashion.

I'm glad you stopped by the blog though.

MostHeather
06-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Kristine. I'm sorry to hear about your health problems and hope that your procedure fixes you up. Don't underestimate the power of calorie control, even if you aren't able to work out. I know a couple of people that have lost over 130 pounds combined using diet only, so it can be done.

I'll be sure to stop in again if anything inspires you to post.. Sometimes the challenges along the road are the most interesting parts. Stay strong and take things day by day.. :)

cbscreative
06-06-2011, 11:50 PM
Congrats, Jenn. I just went through the same thing in mid April. I routinely upgraded the hardware on my old computer to the point where no more upgrading could be done. I put up with too many issues for about a year. I was a bit reluctant to move over to 64 bit because of potential glitches. Some of those concerns were well warranted because the migration was not without problems. I had one program fail entirely on the new system (not an important app though) and one that was buggy enough it forced me to upgrade. Everything else was just a matter of troubleshooting.

Overall, it was well worth it. Like you, I was also absent from the forum for a while, so I understand. It sure is nice to have all the transitional issues resolved and enjoy the power of a new system. Welcome back.

billbenson
06-07-2011, 12:00 AM
I waited to upgrade my 5 y/o computers until 64 bit quad machines became somewhat reasonable. I stuck 12G of ram in it so I wouldn't be thinking about upgrading for a while. That was last January. The way technology is moving, I don't know if I'll get 5 years this time but I'm sure I'll get 3.

Steve, how is 64 bit windows working for you these days. It was kind of shaky for a while. Also, is it a RAM hog? In Linux you really need at least 6G of ram or things slow to a crawl or have a coronary after a while.

Also, I'm going to be in the market for a beefy laptop later in the year. Anybody have any recommendations?

cbscreative
06-07-2011, 01:17 AM
I waited to upgrade my 5 y/o computers until 64 bit quad machines became somewhat reasonable. I stuck 12G of ram in it so I wouldn't be thinking about upgrading for a while. That was last January. The way technology is moving, I don't know if I'll get 5 years this time but I'm sure I'll get 3.

Steve, how is 64 bit windows working for you these days. It was kind of shaky for a while. Also, is it a RAM hog? In Linux you really need at least 6G of ram or things slow to a crawl or have a coronary after a while.

My free RAM is exceptional and response rates are stellar, but I'm also running 12G of RAM with space on the board to double it. I upgraded another office computer to Windows 7 that only has a 2.6 dual core and 2G RAM and that one runs fine too. The one effect I noticed on the other machine (4 years old) is the cooling fan runs noticeably faster. There are no performance issues, but it does make it louder where it used to run whisper quiet. My new machine doesn't have that problem. If it wasn't for a slight noise from an external drive, I wouldn't even be able to hear it at all, and I work right next to the tower.

The biggest caution I would point out is troubleshooting. Plan for transition time. It's more challenging to get network and share settings configured properly unless every computer on your network is W7, I've experienced significant issues with printing before researching solutions, and some software can be buggy but most issues have solutions. Once you get familiar with the new behaviors and differences in the way you need to set some things up, it's easy to get used to and I can even see some value in many of the changes. It does require some adjustment though.

I have to admit, some changes I wish they hadn't made, but overall, there are several design features that help significantly with productivity. It seems to recognize about any hardware you can throw at it and runs without issues, and rarely even needs an install disk (my printer was the only exception).

It didn't come without some frustration, but I can report it is working very well and I'm quite pleased.

Spider
06-07-2011, 09:16 AM
... I'm going to be in the market for a beefy laptop later in the year. Anybody have any recommendations?I went from PC to laptop with an HP Pavilion with 17" screen. Great machine, big (for a laptop) and heavy. It was too big for the batteries, which were good for no more than 1 hour. And I heard that it generated enough heat to melt the keyboard, although that never happened to me. (I keep all electrical equipment elevated by at least 1" for better ventialtion.)

I now have a Toshiba A665 which I have grown to dislike and will be returning to the latest HP Pavilion 17" eventually.

I am sure we have different requirements in a computer but I recommend you take a look at the HP Pavilion to see if it can be configured the way you would want it. It's a battleship of a laptop - more like a portable with built-in UPS (battery backup) with enough time to end the current task should power fail. (But not enough battery juice for Road Warriors!)

cbscreative
06-07-2011, 11:33 AM
I'm a bit gun shy of HP computers, laptops especially. Maybe I'm not being fair and holding a grudge, but their past sins lead me to wonder what else they might be willing to do. They are well known for having their components made by the cheapest bidder which always sends my flags flying.

Here's an issue I ran into a few years ago that put a foul stench in my nostrils toward HP laptops. I was helping a client diagnose a power issue where plugging in would no longer power the unit. As I recall, it was only a little over a year old. After discovering the source of the problem, it was a flimsy connector from the inside of the plug-in to the board. My research revealed they had a 100% failure rate on these, and not just on that model, but several models over several years. The number of people ticked about this issue was staggering.

I find it inconceivable that HP was not aware of this problem, yet they continued to sell products with 100% failure for years. My trust in them for laptops is non-existent. To be fair, they still have great reputation for printers, and I have an HP printer...the same one mentioned above. To their credit, I resolved the issues with it by getting the right drivers from the HP site. But laptops, you'd have a tough time selling me one.

billbenson
06-07-2011, 01:31 PM
My wifes had a couple of Dell's. They are "ok". I'm not a big fan though. They have problems but they have heavy use and she isn't exactly that gentle on them. Also, if you use non dell parts such as a second HD it voids Dell warranty's.

I want to use it as my hot standby pc as well as those few times I travel during the year. I want to put Linux 64 on it so I'd like 8G or more of RAM and a fast processor. It would be used only occasionally though and probably with an external monitor and keybord / mouse so screen size isn't as much of an issue.

cbscreative
06-07-2011, 04:52 PM
Also, I'm going to be in the market for a beefy laptop later in the year. Anybody have any recommendations?

Oops, I guess the only answer so far is what not to buy. I don't know if this is still true, but Gateway's have had a reputation for withstanding rugged use. I would do some research before buying though, especially since I can't make that recommendation with confidence now that Asus took over. I have a Gateway that's over 3 years old and never had any trouble. I've replaced the power adapter cord, but that's all. I require everyone to be nice and not abuse it, but it gets a LOT of use...as in most of the day, every day, with little time off. With as many hours as that machine has logged, I can testify the reputation of longevity it was known for back when I bought it has proven true.

billbenson
06-07-2011, 06:29 PM
I guess I wasn't clear either. My wife is abusive with her Dell laptop. By that I mean extremely heavy use, but coffee injuries as well as being banged around a lot as well. In fact the Dell service guy just left. I have the Dell premium service pack for hers. When hers dies (or the service agreement does) I think I'll get her another dell. She's had it for several years. I know we have had two motherboards replaced. At least one mother board may not have been the actual motherboard but software. She has vista and has had BSOD (blue screen of death) issues. From what I read BSOD's are almost always driver confilicts. Either way, when they couldn't diagnose the problem on the phone the replaced the mother board. Mind you this could be a lot of phone time.

For me, I am talking about a different laptop. The only daily use the laptop would have is synchronization with my desktop. Otherwise it would be unused except for once a year trips. Essentially hot standby and for rare trips. Maybe with a laptop I'll get used to it though and end up surfing in the living room? I do want a machine that can do the work though as it is my "hot standby" / travel pc.

MyITGuy
06-07-2011, 09:00 PM

Check out the Dell Latitude Line (I.E. A Dell Latitude E6520).

I've had my E6510 for over a year now and love it. It has plenty of power/speed and I haven't had any issues with it yet.