PDA

View Full Version : i pad trouble

greenoak
05-12-2011, 07:53 PM
now real books seem like a poor second to reading on the ipad.... .... especially paper backs.....

vangogh
05-12-2011, 08:23 PM
Funny. When I saw your subject line I thought you needed help fixing a problem with your iPad.

I've been reading more and more books through iBooks too. I still buy printed books. Some of the things I read aren't available as ebooks. But I don't think I'll buy novels any more in print. I actually prefer them on the iPad.

Do you only use the iBooks store? Or do you have the Kindle and Nook apps too?

greenoak
05-12-2011, 10:50 PM
i have the kindle app and ibooks/ itunes.....its so handy....and i really love the feel of books....but the ease of the ipad is winning out.
i still prefer real magazines tho....

vangogh
05-12-2011, 11:18 PM
I also read some magazines. Up until now the situation with magazines hasn't been good on the iPad. I think publishers are still figuring out how to do magazines on the iPad and until recently you couldn't offer subscription pricing. That's changing though. In the last week I think many Conde Nast publications are becoming available for subscription at more reasonable rates, usually free to print subscribers.

For example before last week if you wanted to get the New Yorker on your iPad it was $5 or so an issue 52 times a year. Now I think it ends up being about $7 or $8 a month.

I still like print. I grew up holding books and magazines in my hands and turning the pages. I also think some things are still better presented in print. However I'm certainly reading more digitally now and it's not hard to see how in time I'll be reading everything digitally.

jamesray50
05-13-2011, 12:21 AM
I ended up getting an iPad 2. Debated it for a long time, went with the cheapest one, wifi only, no 3g. I love it. And I do love the ebooks on it. And the iTunes. I have spent so much money lately buying songs. I don't have an iPod so I didn't have any songs to download to it. I have an MP3 player and was hoping I could transfer those songs to it, but the formats are different, so I wasn't able to do that, although I did find a work around, but it was too complicated for me to follow. My only problem with my iPad is that it looses the wifi connection frequently. I have to turn it off and turn it back on, sometime it will reconnect, sometimes I have to select my network, and sometimes I have to turn it off and turn it back on several times. This probably wouldn't happen if I had the 3g. I may need to upgrade my router. I've noticed on other forums that this has been an issue.

vangogh
05-13-2011, 12:44 AM
Welcome to the club. I knew I wanted one as soon as I saw one, but I wasn't quite sure how I would use it. The longer I have it though, the more ways I use it. Admittedly most of that is to read, surf, watch video, but it's in more ways than I expected. For example I'm a big sports fan and during the fall every Sunday is all about football. I flip back and forth between 2 games on the tv and do the same on the iPad. I never thought I would do that when I bought it.

More and more apps are coming out that will help you be productive with work. One I should have bought already is called Air Display which lets you set up the iPad (or iPhone) as a second monitor. It's supposed to work on both Mac and Windows, though in the reviews Windows users don't have as much success with it. Recently I learned I could move Photoshop to the iPad monitor and actually use Photoshop on the iPad. Naturally that's not for everyone, but I think it would be a way for me to boost productivity.

Jo Ellen are you able to convert the songs to another format. There are lots of free and paid conversion tools for both Mac and Windows. As long as you can get the song to play in iTunes somehow you should be able to move it to the iPad. Most of the conversion programs aren't too difficult. You load the song, select the format you want to convert it to and press a button. The trick is usually finding a program that reads your format and can convert to the one you want.

I've heard about the wifi disconnections too. In fact I think it was only this morning I read something about it. That's never been an issue for me, but I do hear others experience the same thing. I'm not sure if there's a workaround for it or what the cause is.

greenoak
05-13-2011, 08:25 AM
i dont do songs..i thought my book place was called itunes too... ..but my grandkids sure like to play games on my ipad....something went blank last week and i erased some of their games and i think it turned out to be about the wifi....or resinking maybe.....
so far everything seems to be working just right...
one of my main goals is still pretty illusive....playng with our product pictures and then having them on the web or facebook..... i just cant get the transfer down right....if i did it over and over all day i could probably learn it..... i like the collage apps so much ...and easier for me than the publishing software thats on my computer...
i use it a lot o for news too... and especially wheni just want to lay down and read...

vangogh
05-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Ann iTunes is the program you use to download apps and music and video and to backup your iPad to your computer and synch things like your contacts and email. I assume when you're reading books you're doing it through the iBooks app (brownish icon of a book). If you purchase books through that app it goes to the iBooks store. It's basically the same as iTunes in how it works though so you may think you're using iTunes. The names get confusing, but who care since it works so well. :)

You should be able to transfer the images to Facebook, etc. I bet it's something simple and once you get it working right once it'll be easy to get it working again after.

I just looked at my iPad and there doesn't seem to be anything built in to the iPhoto app to send the images directly to Facebook. I think you probably need one of the Facebook apps to do that. Some should be able to find the images in the iPhoto gallery and transfer any to Facebook, though how or even if will depend on the specific app.

KristineS
05-13-2011, 12:45 PM
OOh, you guys are making me want to get one of these and it so isn't in the budget right now.

greenoak
05-13-2011, 03:36 PM
good luck on that kristine....i think you would like it a lot....
dh can do all that easily for me vg... i just cant do it..hes a terrible teacher.... im too old school i guess.... and it just doesnt come very easy to me..... we have done it tho...maybe if i butter him up tonight he will give me another lesson...!!! ...the going back and forth seems way too hard.... about 5 steps if i remember right...and thats each way....the art and placing part is easy tho...
i think we did sign up in itunes to get ibooks.... i got a lot of free ones too...the good old literature mostly...

vangogh
05-13-2011, 04:20 PM
Kristine I suspect you'll have one before too long.

Ann that's true. The account details are the same ones as iTunes. You only sign up the one time with iTunes and the account works in other places. The iBooks store is probably part of the larger iTunes store. Try the MyPad app for Facebook (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mypad-for-facebook/id412133981?mt=8). It should make it easier to upload and download images. The app is free though it will serve ads. There's also a MyPad+ which I think costs $4.99 that's ad free.

greenoak
05-13-2011, 07:03 PM
right...thats what i understood...it does say ibooks...
thanks for the link..i dont do facebook on the ipad......but i will take a look....
i do all my computer work on my computer not the ipaD...except for building the collages on the ipad, with the neat ipad apps...moxier collage mainly...

vangogh
05-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Ann I end up spending more time on social sites with either my iPad or my iPhone than I do my computer. When it's on my computer it keeps me from working. I downloaded MyPad a few weeks ago, but I can't say I've used it yet. Most of the reviewers thought it was a better experience than going directly to the site. Of course you can also just go to Facebook's site in Safari on the iPad too.

greenoak
05-14-2011, 09:20 AM
MY COMPUTER IS MAINLY FOR DOWN TIME AND PLAY......i do the facebook work and once in a while my poor neglected blog........otherwise im just puttering around on line , networking a little, checking things out, ..for serious online work like the website , im mostly just helping withthe design and planning and content , not the tekk side...
i think i have friendly on the ipad for facebook....but i dont use it....

vangogh
05-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Funny how we have such different needs from a computer. :) I use mine for downtime and play too, but naturally it's vital for my business.

I don't think I downloaded friendly. I saw it, but something in the reviews kept me from downloading it. I don't remember what though. I'm not sure why Facebook hasn't released an official app. They have one for the iPhone, but it's not really made for the iPad.