PDA

View Full Version : Another question about Wordpress

jamesray50
04-24-2011, 04:27 PM
I really hate to be asking so many questions, but appreciate the help. I would like to add a subscribe via email to my blog posts. Do I need a plug in for that? Or is the code for that available from the RSS that I have? I don't know what RSS I have? And once I got the code for it would I just add it to the Post Sidebar?

Thanks.

jamesray50
04-25-2011, 01:42 AM
I installed a plugin called subscribe2 and followed all the directions to the letter, but the box for someone to enter their email does not show up on my blog post. What do I need to do for it to show up?

vangogh
04-25-2011, 11:10 AM
Did you create a page to display the site. Looking quickly at the plugin instructions it looks like you have to create a new page and add some plugin supplied code to the page in order for the form to show up. Then you need to create a link from your blog posts to that new page.

Harold Mansfield
04-25-2011, 12:30 PM
I installed a plugin called subscribe2 and followed all the directions to the letter, but the box for someone to enter their email does not show up on my blog post. What do I need to do for it to show up?

It's not supposed to.
Subscribe gives you HTML code to to add a "subscribe" box to a page as VG suggested, or to add a widget to your sidebar. If you want the subscribe box to appear below your individual posts then you need to edit (hack) your theme files add that code to your "single.php" file of your theme.

Personally, I think you should keep your subscription options together. You already have your RSS and Social Networking info in your sidebar in a widget...I think that's where you should add any additional subscription options.
If you decide that you now want to add ALL of your follow/subscription options at the end of each post, then put them all there.

That's just my opinion.

jamesray50
04-25-2011, 03:06 PM
What I wanted was the subscribe by email to be put right below the social buttons in the sidebar. I know when I visit a page I rarely click on the RSS feed. I will more that likely subscribe by email. I'm not sure what the % of visitors to a website do, but I thought if I had both then I would have a better chance of getting a following.

vangogh
04-25-2011, 03:32 PM
What you're wanting to do (add a subscribe by email options) is a good idea. About 10% of my subscribers do so through email. I'd guess the % higher for non-technical blogs too. Harold mentioned a widget with the plugin so it should just be a matter of finding that widget and dragging it to the post-sidebar.

jamesray50
04-25-2011, 04:07 PM
I can't find the widget. I a widget for subscribe2 but it was dated 2006 and I found it after I had already added the plugin, and the plug in is new. I didn't know if the widget would work with the version of wordpress that I have now so I didn't get it. I couldn't find another one for the current plugin.

Harold Mansfield
04-25-2011, 04:34 PM
I can't find the widget. I a widget for subscribe2 but it was dated 2006 and I found it after I had already added the plugin, and the plug in is new. I didn't know if the widget would work with the version of wordpress that I have now so I didn't get it. I couldn't find another one for the current plugin.

The Subscribe2 Form Widget is now built in to the main plugin. Enable it in Settings->Subscribe2 and then place it using Appearance->Widgets.

However, at the time it was added, there was a conflict with:
PodPress
Share This
Popularity Contest

Don't know if current versions have been updated with a fix, you'll have to try it and out see.
You can also look at the "read me " file that comes with the plug in and see if there is a short code, eg: [subscribe2] , to place in a text widget and do it that way.

jamesray50
04-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Okay, I found where in the settings to add the widget and in the Appearance - Widgets I added it. And it did add it, but the box to type in the email address is really small. And there is an unsubscribe button below it, and when you click on it there is an error message. I subscribed to my blog, but did not get any kind of a confirmation email or pop up box or anything so I'm not sure it is working.

Harold Mansfield
04-26-2011, 11:15 AM
However, at the time it was added, there was a conflict with:

Share This

Don't know if current versions have been updated with a fix, you'll have to try it and out see.
You can also look at the "read me " file that comes with the plug in and see if there is a short code, eg: [subscribe2] , to place in a text widget and do it that way.

If I had to guess, I'd say that it is conflicting with your "Add to any" plug in. But it's hard to troubleshoot anything until you update your version of WP and all of your other plug ins to the latest version.

HomeToHeather
04-26-2011, 02:43 PM
use feedburner - they will give you code and it works very well

vangogh
04-26-2011, 03:46 PM
I use FeedBurner too. The one downside to FeedBurner is you give up control over your feed. Once you use the service, there's no easy way to switch to something else. You may never want to switch, but the only way to do so and have all your subscribers remain is to ask them to resubscribe to whatever the new feed URL is.

Even with the above, FeedBurner is a pretty good service and probably serves the feed for a large percentage of blogs.

jamesray50
04-27-2011, 01:06 PM
I switched to Feedburner. I don't think I had any subscribers to switch over anyway. Now I have what I wanted on my website. Thanks.

vangogh
04-27-2011, 02:15 PM
Looks good. Pretty easy using FeedBurner, right? Like I said the only real downside is it can be hard to leave FeedBurner should you decide to for some reason, but if you don't planning on leaving there isn't any issue.