PDA

View Full Version : Overusing technology...

Harold Mansfield
04-22-2011, 01:33 PM
I get so frustrated with clients and others that make things more difficult by overusing technology.

It seems that 1 out of 3 clients get so caught up in learning, buying and using new stuff that they have everything known to man on their computer, except the important stuff... and it actually just slows things down.

My 3 biggest pet peeves are:

1. Weird file extensions and document programs: I hate it when people send me a simple image and .jpg, .gif. or .png is not good enough for them. It has to be .xcf, or zipped in a TAR or RAR file. Just keep it simple.

People are also getting out of control on documents. It only takes a simple notepad text file to send content/words. I can deal with MS Word as well, but I don't need you to create a Powerpoint slide show. Save that for your inner office presentations. I also don't need anything that requires me to buy something like Acrobat, just to open a simple text file. Just keep it simple. I just need text. Actually just copying and pasting in an email works just fine.

2. Non Disclosure Agreements: They are really not necessary for me to build you a website. I have no interest in starting a concierge company just like yours, or discuss your business with others. Most times your website does not contain any proprietary information, or programming that is particular to just your site alone. I think I have only had one client where a non disclosure was understandable. Most times it's just overkill. Especially since you are going to send it in a PDF that can't be changed..then I have to print it out, sign it and then convert it back to a PDF and send it back. It's just a website. It's not a Department of Defense database.

3. Anti Spam Verification: I really thought these things went out of style a few years ago, but apparently people are still using them. I have no problem if that's what you feel you need, but don't make people that you are doing business with jump through hoops just to send you an email.

Most things can just be kept simple. Just because they make it, doesn't mean that you need to buy it, or use it for every little thing.

billbenson
04-22-2011, 03:06 PM
Just curious, what do you mean by the anti spam verification?

KristineS
04-22-2011, 03:19 PM
I'm with you! The anti spam e-mail verification stuff is the worst. Earthlink uses that still I think, and you have to tell the sender who you are and why you're contacting them before your e-mail can get approved. This is after they've given you their e-mail address, so it's not like you just picked it up somewhere.

Very annoying.

Spider
04-22-2011, 06:14 PM
... Most things can just be kept simple. Just because they make it, doesn't mean that you need to buy it, or use it for every little thing.There! and I thought you were the techno-freak that had to have all the latest gizmos!

Of course, you know that I have a flip cellphone still. It has a camera that I have never used, voicemail that I haven't set up, various things in a menu that I have no idea what they do.

All I need (and all I use) is - ring, ring (or chirp, chirp!) - Hello, thank you, goodbye! You know, like a ... t-e-l-e-p-h-o-n-e.

BTW, I just sold all my music albums and recordplayer and bought a cd player. Trying to get my cassette players serviced but cannot get the parts for them, anymore!

Ho, hum!

Harold Mansfield
04-22-2011, 06:27 PM
There! and I thought you were the techno-freak that had to have all the latest gizmos!

I like stuff. But when it comes to work I like to keep it simple and easy. And no I don't have to have the latest and greatest, but some things do make life easier.

For instance, I'd rather have all of my music on a iPod and use that iPod in the car, on my home system and anywhere else that it will connect, rather than have CD players everywhere. It's smaller, lighter, holds more music and overall cheaper. To me, that makes sense.

As opposed to a buddy of mine that has a huge disc changing system in his trunk that costs him over $1k. My iPod costs $275 and can do 10x's what his car system can do and I don't have to store or carry discs.
What he has in discs takes up a huge amount of storage space and he has to store them delicately. I can carry twice that much music in my pocket and the quality is better.

To me, that's just smart tech. And it makes life easy.

billbenson
04-22-2011, 11:03 PM
I'm with you! The anti spam e-mail verification stuff is the worst. Earthlink uses that still I think, and you have to tell the sender who you are and why you're contacting them before your e-mail can get approved. This is after they've given you their e-mail address, so it's not like you just picked it up somewhere.

Very annoying.
Oh, thats what you are talking about. I get a lot of emails and I haven't seen that in years??

Spider
04-22-2011, 11:13 PM
I think that must be a personal setting at Earthlink. I have used Earthlink for years and have never had anything like that happen. I think I probably receive less spam than is sent to my address so appreciate the spam filter but have never had anyone say they haven't been able to e-mail me nor have I ever not been able to e-mail someone, either.

Harold Mansfield
04-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Oh, thats what you are talking about. I get a lot of emails and I haven't seen that in years??

Neither have I, and I was really surprised to see it. A few days later the person sent another email and then called. One of the first things they said was that they sent a couple of emails trying to get in touch, as if I was somehow the unprofessional communicator.

I told him that I thought it was some kind of marketing trick to get me to opt in for future mailers since most people don't ask for a response by email, and then make you go through an email verification. People used to do that for unsolicited emails, not for business communications...so I didn't take it seriously.

billbenson
04-23-2011, 11:18 PM
So what did he say? I would view someone using that as so unprofessional that it would send up a big red flag for taking him on as a client. Real business people can't screen emails that way. They would loose to many important emails.

Harold Mansfield
04-24-2011, 03:51 PM
So what did he say? I would view someone using that as so unprofessional that it would send up a big red flag for taking him on as a client. Real business people can't screen emails that way. They would loose to many important emails.

His excuse was that it was necessary to cut down on the amount of spam emails he receives. I could tell that he didn't get it, so I didn't press it.

n_touch
05-08-2011, 02:29 AM
I have used NDAs in the past. Depends on the company that I am working with. Most of the time they think that will take the place of a non compete and just don't realize it. I actually had a client come back on me after we had a long discussion about the difference. He was upset I built a site for a competitor and that I was doing their SEO. He said that he could tell they knew things they shouldn't. I had to point out to him that all of the information that he was discussing was the information that he had me put on the website so anyone knew it, and second I could work with anyone that I wanted. Since I was no longer under contract with him, and we didn't have a non compete anyway. I can understand being protective, but at least understand the paper work that you are going to try and have the people sign when you present them.

Russ in Vancouver
05-09-2011, 06:58 PM
I get so frustrated with clients and others that make things more difficult by overusing technology.

It seems that 1 out of 3 clients get so caught up in learning, buying and using new stuff that they have everything known to man on their computer, except the important stuff... and it actually just slows things down.

My 3 biggest pet peeves are:

1. Weird file extensions and document programs: I hate it when people send me a simple image and .jpg, .gif. or .png is not good enough for them. It has to be .xcf, or zipped in a TAR or RAR file. Just keep it simple.

People are also getting out of control on documents. It only takes a simple notepad text file to send content/words. I can deal with MS Word as well, but I don't need you to create a Powerpoint slide show. Save that for your inner office presentations. I also don't need anything that requires me to buy something like Acrobat, just to open a simple text file. Just keep it simple. I just need text. Actually just copying and pasting in an email works just fine.

2. Non Disclosure Agreements: They are really not necessary for me to build you a website. I have no interest in starting a concierge company just like yours, or discuss your business with others. Most times your website does not contain any proprietary information, or programming that is particular to just your site alone. I think I have only had one client where a non disclosure was understandable. Most times it's just overkill. Especially since you are going to send it in a PDF that can't be changed..then I have to print it out, sign it and then convert it back to a PDF and send it back. It's just a website. It's not a Department of Defense database.

3. Anti Spam Verification: I really thought these things went out of style a few years ago, but apparently people are still using them. I have no problem if that's what you feel you need, but don't make people that you are doing business with jump through hoops just to send you an email.

Most things can just be kept simple. Just because they make it, doesn't mean that you need to buy it, or use it for every little thing.

Yes, I agree, I would never open a file with a weird extension.