PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the Community Page Employer Page with your Facebook Business Page

Patrysha
01-12-2011, 11:02 AM
I found a tutorial last night and it's really easy to do...just did it this morning for my personal page.

How to Add Official Facebook Page to Your Profile Employer Link | Social @ Blogging Tracker (http://www.wchingya.com/2010/10/official-facebook-page-employer-link.html)

vangogh
01-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the link Patrysha. I may need to take advantage of this in order to set up my own Fanpage, though I do want to keep my profile and Fanpage separate.

Patrysha
01-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Well it really is just the link to your employer on your profile page. Just making it easy for those who know you on a personal level to click through to your fanpage...but then I'm not one who believes there should or could be complete separation...where you work is just another aspect of your personality as much as the television shows you watch or the music you listen to :-)

vangogh
01-12-2011, 11:04 PM
I want to keep the two separate because for me they are. On the business side I want to interact with lots and lots of people. On the personal side I'll be happy to cut it off at the people I've actually know in person. Quite honestly I have no use for Facebook in my personal life as I have better ways to communicate with the people I know.

There's no reason though for all the business connections to be even remotely connected to my family for instance. They don't need to see those conversations (assuming they ever occur) and I'd rather not have to micromanage the one account so this one is allowed to see x and that one can't see y. If I can only choose one or the other the personal account will go and I'll set up the fanpage.

Patrysha
01-13-2011, 09:46 AM
See if people I don't know and don't want to be friend with send me a friend request, I direct them over to the business page. I only put up information that I'm okay with the world seeing on FB anyway. The sensitive stuff is phone material anyway.

But you don't have to mix them. It's just an option.

vangogh
01-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Are they two different accounts for you? One personal and one business? Or is it one account and someone visiting the account could access either page under the one account?

Patrysha
01-13-2011, 05:58 PM
I log into the same account, but they are separate. My personal page is Patrysha Korchinski | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/patrysha) and the business one is Local Shopping Marketing and Promotions - PK Marketing Solutions | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/marketinggeek)

vangogh
01-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Cool thanks. I'll check out both.

When I first joined Facebook they didn't have fan pages. I was building the personal account for business and now my account is filled with lots of people I don't know and really wouldn't interact with personally. Some I would, but most are people I know of more than actually know. I'm happy to connect with those people of course, but I know I'm not doing it the idea way right now.

I've been bookmarking things on Facebook for months about how to set up fan pages, etc. One of these days and months when I have more time I'm going to redo things at Facebook as well as LinkedIn and I'll do some research for using Twitter better as well. One thing I want to do with Twitter is create a design for my profile page. There are even a couple of niche design related social networks I'd like to be more active in.

Patrysha
01-13-2011, 10:59 PM
I have no idea if they had fan pages when I first joined. I joined because all the people at the radio station were on it. Twitter was my thing even back then. I built my first fan page for the local summer shopping promotion in 2009. I've got 10 profile builds on tap for this month so far...it's a growing little niche.

I have to redo my Twitter page...I had a custom one that I made but it became obsolete when they changed the profiles. I haven't done much with LinkedIn at all. I keep meaning to look into it and study how to use it more...but that keeps getting pushed aside. (I really don't think too many of my target market will be lurking around there anyway)

vangogh
01-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Of the three I'v definitely spent the most time with Twitter. Of late that's mostly been to use Twitter as a research tool. I have a variety of saved searches to listen in on what people want and what they're saying about my content. I should put a little more into posting links to interesting content. I bookmark a lot of things and no reason I can't share some on Twitter too. I just need to get into the habit more. I'd also like to tweet a few interesting thoughts that come to mind. Again it mostly needs more of a change in habit on my part.

I read an article in Website Magazine about improving your LinkedIn profile, which convinced me to spend a day or two working on it. Where I think LinkedIn could work for me best is in the question and answers. I know I should track some topics and spend even a half hour a week answering questions where I can help.

With Facebook I haven't yet decided what I want to do other than separate the person and the business. Mostly that means setting up the fab page and unfriending most everyone on the personal side. I have to figure out the best way to do that. I'd prefer not to offend the people I unfriend, since most are people I would like to connect with, albeit in a different place.

All 3 are on my agenda for 2011. Not immediately as I have other things to do I think more important, but sometime this year I'd like to spend a month developing a social media strategy. Part of that will also include being more active in a couple of design related communities, where I'll likely be most interested in the conversation and likely make the most genuine and most beneficial connections with people.

Patrysha
01-14-2011, 03:03 PM
I have to figure out the best way to do that. I'd prefer not to offend the people I unfriend, since most are people I would like to connect with, albeit in a different place.

I've watched the way a couple of others have done this. They started with a personal letter to their lists explaining the why behind the change - this included separating the personal from the business as well as concerns about online safety. Then they set up an event with a deadline through their personal page and leading over to their business page. And then they posted a status message explaining it all and then they made the switch and did the unfriending...

vangogh
01-16-2011, 02:42 AM
That's not a bad idea. I think as long as let people know why you're removing them before you do they'll understand, especially if you point them to the new fanbook page. I don't have a huge amount of friends on Facebook since I never really promoted the account much. I'll likely go through the list first and get rid of a few people who I'm not concerned about following me to the new page. The few who only seem to want to invite me to whatever the latest thing they're promoting is. Then I'll send something to the people I do want to stay connected with and ask them to move to the new page. Some probably won't, but I expect most will.

The rest should be the people I want to keep as friends on my personal profile.

Spider
01-16-2011, 02:55 PM
A very quick if rather drastic way of doing this is to notify all your friends and fans (by message - posting to your wall can get missed) that you are going to re-organize and want personal friends as friends on your personal profile and business friends and aquaintances linked on your business page. To do this you will close your FB account as of x/x/2011 and start afresh with a new account on x+1/x/2011

When you close your account, you will eliminate all friends and fans in one single action. The following day, open a new profile and create a new business page and start again. You may not have to do much inviting yourself because your friends and aquaintances will sort themselves into the two places and all you will have to do is approve them - and ignore those that are trying to get into the wrong place.

vangogh
01-16-2011, 03:01 PM
I'm not planning on closing the account though. I want to keep the account I have, but only use it for personal relationships. I want to then also add a new account to represent my business.

Spider
01-16-2011, 03:09 PM
What do you have in your current personal account that needs to be saved? Not much, I suspect. Just close it to eliminate all freinds and open another personal profile the next day as a clean slate.

Patrysha
01-16-2011, 03:57 PM
What do you have in your current personal account that needs to be saved? Not much, I suspect. Just close it to eliminate all freinds and open another personal profile the next day as a clean slate.

Why? First why assume there is nothing of value on anyone's account. And why go through the hassle of procuring new email accounts and setting up new profiles, when its just as easy to categorize and separate without doing so?

vangogh
01-16-2011, 04:40 PM
Exactly. Why would I do that? Without looking I'd say anywhere from a third to half of all the Facebook friends I have are friends and family I'd want to keep as friends on that account. Also why would I close an account to then open a new account with the same name? Sounds like you're suggesting I dump the baby in order to get rid of the bathwater. Your suggestion is to inconvenience all of my friends, because I want half of them to do something. How does that make anything more productive?

Another option I've considered is to explore lists further and see what kind of control Facebook gives me as to which list of friends can see what content. Last time I looked, which was awhile ago, I could easily create the lists, but it didn't seem like I had enough control over what my different lists could see. I'm thinking that possibly changed so it's another option to explore. The first step either way is for me to explore more of what options I have and then most likely set up a fanpage. Once those are done I can decide what I think is the best approach for the personal account.

Spider
01-16-2011, 09:30 PM
No problem, then. I just thought it would be easier. If not, there's no sense in doing it.