PDA

View Full Version : Help please :)

Patrysha
12-03-2010, 06:58 PM
With my redesign progressing as slow as sap in January...I figure I better fix up what I do have in the meantime. I've been hearing from people that they see red x's showing on every page. When I go, I see a picture seem to start to load in the right sidebar...but it flips under and disapears...so I don't see any x's.

I went in to my widgets and didn't see anything there that could have caused it. Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Harold Mansfield
12-03-2010, 08:28 PM
I see images. Red x's are usually a sign that where ever the images are hosted is either offline or the link is corrupt. Somewhere there is a break in the connection.
I don;t see anything wrong on my end, your site looks as it always does.

However, when I refresh, I do see a ghost of a 480x60 banner in the header.
Not sure if that' supposed to be visible or not.
If it is...it isn't.

Spider
12-03-2010, 11:21 PM
I got about half of your images, the other just placeholders. Refresh made no difference. Right-click - Show Picture had no effect.

Saw nothing to indicate what the trouble might be.

Harold Mansfield
12-04-2010, 12:08 PM
I see it now!
It's in Internet Explorer.
I found this about that particular problem:

This behavior can occur if one of the following conditions is true:

* The Web page includes an image type that is not supported by Internet Explorer.
* The Show Pictures check box is not selected on the Advanced tab of the Internet Options dialog box in Internet Explorer, or the Toggle Images.exe Web accessory was used to disable images in Internet Explorer.
* The image is displayed based on a script, an ActiveX control, a cookie, a Java program, or HTTP referral information, and your computer or network is configured to block one or more of these features. For example, you may have Internet Explorer or Symantec Corporation Norton Internet Security (NIS) or Norton Personal Firewall (NPF) 2002 configured to block one or more of these features.
* Internet Explorer cannot determine the character set (also known as the code page or encoding) that is used by the Web page, or a file or registry key that is required to display the Web page that has the appropriate character set may be missing or damaged. By default, Internet Explorer uses the character set that is specified in the HTTP content type that is returned by the server, the character set that is specified by the meta element in the Web page document, or your Encoding preference if no HTTP content type is returned by the server and no meta element is specified in the Web page document.

I know that Internet Explorer used to have a problem with .png images.Looks as if they fixed that:
Internet Explorer displays images with .art, .wmf, .emf, .png, .mov, .xbm, .avi, .mpg, .gif, .jpg, .mpeg, and .bmp extensions.

Here is more on that problem and some other possible fixes, although most of them are on the user end:
Pictures are not displayed on Web sites in Internet Explorer (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283807)

Spider
12-04-2010, 12:55 PM
I don't know how that works but it prompted me to check and I found all the pictures that were showing for me were named "timthumb"

All but two of the pictures that were not showing were .jpg

The other two, one was .png and the other didn't have any file name and just showed the site base url.

Bruce Chang
12-09-2010, 01:57 AM
I still see the red Xs in your logo, header banner and sidebar banner areas. Did you uploaded the pictures to your server?

AmyAllen
12-09-2010, 09:00 AM
It's also presenting poorly in Chrome. Looks perfect in Firefox though.

jamesray50
12-09-2010, 11:07 AM
I see them in IE with no images.

Patrysha
12-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Thanks all. I'll have to try and tackle this on my next day off that I'm not already booked for client work. Not enough hours in a day!! Wonder if I can ask for more for Christmas?