PDA

View Full Version : more facebook

greenoak
11-14-2010, 09:36 AM
ours is so active and working....everyday someone mentions it...mostly as in ive been following you on facebook....and in store when we say we are on Facebook they say good...its so nice and easy for them..... we are up to 1070 ....
STILL many questions....i do know the difference between clicks and impressions....but both ways to advertize seem to get about the same results for us ....so i have no idea which is better....and in advertizing the more targets i put in the smaller my group becomes i...i dont quite follow that...now im just picking married women over 30....my real goal is those women and any with about 10 different interests, art recycling,antiques,decorating...etc etc....but putting all that in shrinks up who sees my ad....
ONE BIG new question is about the difference between getting on the fans good page as opposed their bad page.... I M TALKING ABOUT recent news and top news....im pretty sure personally i actually see both pages every day when im on facebook.....i think my customers would be the same so im not TOO worried about this....but some gurus are kind of saying if you are on the bad page not many see you.... waht do you thnk about his? should i worry?
AS USUAL... my goal is all about local....getting folks to the store not to a shopping cart......and most of the online conversations is about people in the national or international market....so a lot doesnt really fit my business.a lotof the advice is from a whole different part of internet marketing ...i havent really found a guru or expert who is a good fit for a local business like mine........ my main learning is from other pages, i really study ones with over 800 fans...

one last big question i have is about the chart that i see when i look at insights on my facebook page....... it makes me sick and i hope it isnt important....i have over 1000 fans and about 15 or 20 DAILY ACTIVE USERS...... i really hope this isnt important....i think the dau's means people who post or look at pictures.....
am i in la la land thinking many many of my 1000 fans are seeing me everyday ,even tho not interacting? just like i see where bob dylan is every day and what hes playing on his tour even tho i never post on his fan page....
any feedback appreciated....im so over my head in so many parts of my job....but i cant go back to what i used to have..and was really good at.... ..they evaporated and left the market...so here i am ... but a lot is working...
ann
Green Oak Antiques | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/greenoakantiques)

Patrysha
11-14-2010, 11:06 AM
but both ways to advertize seem to get about the same results for us ....so i have no idea which is better....

I think this is common with the smaller, locally geared facebook campaigns. Everything I've read shows that it is a testing issue and not a solid "this one is better" type thing. Personally, I like paying for clicks better, but it's a personal preference until there's some measurement to show one being better than the other...

and in advertizing the more targets i put in the smaller my group becomes i...i dont quite follow that...now im just picking married women over 30....my real goal is those women and any with about 10 different interests, art recycling,antiques,decorating...etc etc....but putting all that in shrinks up who sees my ad....
It will shrink up your pool of prospects if you have them set up with all of the interests in one ad...because it assumes you want people with all of those interests. To get the wider target you'd want to experiment with each of the interests individually rather than a group of all 10 or more of them.

ONE BIG new question is about the difference between getting on the fans good page as opposed their bad page.... I M TALKING ABOUT recent news and top news....im pretty sure personally i actually see both pages every day when im on facebook.....i think my customers would be the same so im not TOO worried about this....but some gurus are kind of saying if you are on the bad page not many see you.... waht do you thnk about his? should i worry?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It is true that you are more likely to be seen on the top news page than the recent news page, but everyone uses FB differently. On a typical day, I'll glance at the top news a few times throughout the day, on a day when I'm procrastinating or avoiding housework, I'll check out the recent posts...

But getting on the top news page is controlled by FB and not by you...so all you can do is keep putting up content that encourages interaction and encourage your fans to share (contests are great for that)

and most of the online conversations is about people in the national or international market....so a lot doesnt really fit my business.a lotof the advice is from a whole different part of internet marketing ...i havent really found a guru or expert who is a good fit for a local business like mine........ my main learning is from other pages, i really study ones with over 800 fans...

That's about the only way to learn at this point. This is a new area of marketing that doesn't have gurus and experts because it is all just at the experimental stage in a very changeable environment in that some of the information that was relevant and true six months ago doesn't apply anymore. If you do find someone claiming to be an expert, you'd want to hold their toes to the fire to make sure they aren't just regurgitating information that you've already learned through observation.

I would consider altering your criteria of over 800 fans though...while that is reasonable for a store like yours there are others with lower client thresholds that could be doing something interesting and innovative. Depends on the size of the town and the size of the business. For instance an independent service provider like an esthetician can expect to have a client base of just under 400 or so...they can be very successful never cracking 100 fans on FB.

am i in la la land thinking many many of my 1000 fans are seeing me everyday ,even tho not interacting? just like i see where bob dylan is every day and what hes playing on his tour even tho i never post on his fan page....

Some might be seeing it, others might not. Some people log in daily and even multiple times per day, others check in once every few weeks...it's not worth stressing over (IMO) because you really can't control that part. It's like sending out a press release the day before a hurricane...you can do everything "right" and still miss the coverage because life happens.

greenoak
11-14-2010, 06:08 PM
very helpful post !!thanks patrysha....im basically understanding it like you are reporting......
there is so much about how well fb can target...and thats great when you want one specific focussed area....but it leaves me out if i want gardeners and decorators both....and thats why ive opened up my target scope a whole lot...now i just do it by geography and age and sex.. i misunderstood it before, thinking it meant i would get people with any of these interests not just the people who had all these interests...we have done about 5 or 6 ads so far...
when i said 800 fans....i meant mostly other stores....thats who i would be looking at for store ideas...and ideas for the constant good content search.but you are right , andi do look at all kinds of sites...i do really go for places that have done what im trying for tho...naturally... .
so thanks again for the feedback....
i do think most of my fans are probably on a lot, maybe even every day. .
ann

Patrysha
11-14-2010, 08:54 PM
vbut it leaves me out if i want gardeners and decorators both....

No it just means you have to run a few different ad campaigns...which should in theory work better anyway if you're sending them to targeted content.

when i said 800 fans....i meant mostly other stores....thats who i would be looking at for store ideas...and ideas for the constant good content search.but you are right , andi do look at all kinds of sites...i do really go for places that have done what im trying for tho...naturally... .

Yes, I got that, just wanted to make sure you are looking cross industry too. You are in a unique situation as a destination store so you've got to be looking at destination marketing (for the people who make it a plan to come to your store as a trip in and of itself), local business marketing (for those who live close enough to make you a more frequent destination, including your summer cottage customers) and business to business (for your display line)

so thanks again for the feedback....
i do think most of my fans are probably on a lot, maybe even every day. .
ann

No problem...I've really been digging into it lately for my clients...but it still is mostly uncharted territory.

Yes, your fans are likely on FB a lot...it fits the target market you've described as your base market and fits with the idea that the most frequent users of FB are within the age bracket you cater to, but most doesn't mean all and you should be aware (if not proactive) of the different segments within your market.

greenoak
11-14-2010, 09:55 PM
sounds good on doing 2 or 3 seperate ads....but i probably couldnt justify the time.... lots to consider...a big general net also has some good parts.... .
i hope you get some of your clients up to 800......

Patrysha
11-15-2010, 12:14 AM
There are few that I can really expect that from at the moment...our town only has 480 ppl over 18 registered on FB as being from our town (I know a lot use the nearest city as their hometown though).

I have recently signed a client from a town adjacent to a bigger city and she has a potential reach of over 700,000 so we'll see how that goes once we get there. At the moment we're still working on the offline promotional elements and her website so while we are developing ideas for her facebook page we aren't ready to move forward with it quite yet.

greenoak
11-15-2010, 08:14 AM
the thing that really got us off on the right foot was my daughter and my dil....both in their 40s and both with lots of FB friends ..both are somewhat connected to the store... and both promoted us on their personal pages... so we got about 100 KIND OF LOCAL fans right away in a nice natural way........we only run ads for our events....
also we talked it up in the store a lot....and got a rubber stamp so its on our reciepts ...i tell everybody to facebook me if they ever have any questions...
ours is more of a growth out of the store really...