PDA

View Full Version : A streamlined social network marketing strategy

boogle
10-13-2010, 08:30 PM
I am launching a new non-profit organization soon called Murfreesboro Rock School. We have private lessons, group lessons where kids play in bands together and perform, and a recording studio with classes. I have been doing work in this field for several years now and am familiar with my market. I hope to reach a lot more people than I have in the past working for others. One of my big goals is to develop a very strong social networking marketing strategy that takes advantage of many of the different sites out there. Here is what I am thinking about so far. I am pretty new to social network marketing and would love ideas on how to make things simpler, more efficient, and ideas for how to increase traffic.

First of all, I have two markets I am targeting, the kids, ages 8-18, and their parents. Our town is pretty conservative here in the bible belt and to launch a program called Murfreesboro Rock School, I have some explaining to do. The kids have to want to be involved of course, but the parents have to approve. I already have probably 50 or 60 families I have worked with that think highly of me, so I am not starting from scratch.

I am planning on using Twitter, Blogs, and an e-Newsletter to target parents. Every week I am going to write a blog on a specific topic that I feel parents with music or potential music playing kids will appreciate. (i.e. how to select your first instrument, ways to help get your kid excited about practicing, a review of local music stores, how to take care of your instrument, etc.) The blog will be broken down into one article on drums, one article on bass, when it is appropriate. The newsletter will be monthly and will simply be a combination of my blog posts over the month. (I am not expecting to have the same people reading the blog as the newsletter, although I am sure there will be some over lap, the newsletter will also have stories and specials as well) (is that a safe assumption, is that the best way to utilize a blog and a newsletter?) Twitter will be shorter bursts of news like headlines linking to the website blog when a new blog is posted. (Facebook will do the same).

As for the kids, I am planning on focusing on youtube, facebook, and myspace. I am going to release one video per week of a quick music lesson teaching popular songs. The video will of course be on the website, and social sites as well. I will also do video lessons over the basics of recording, how to use guitar pedals, etc. I plan on using facebook to promote those video's as well as act like a syndicate for news about popular bands and upcoming concerts. I also plan to write blogs promoted through facebook that focus on topics kids will find more interesting, (how to promote yourselves, how to make a music video, how to get shows, how to do repairs on your instruments, etc.) Myspace will act more like a band site, publicizing bands and musicians work who are in the program. Pictures of current bands in the program and recordings.

I am also planning on using LinkedIn for generating business partners and sponsorships, although a lot of local businesses in my town do not even have websites, much less social networking accounts, a lot of that work is still done mingling and chamber events and going door to door.

Am I leaving out sites that would be valuable to use here, Am I missing the mark on something, does this sound like a solid strategy, what would be the best use of PPC ads to promote these efforts? Any feedback would be awesome, thanks a lot in advance.

KristineS
10-14-2010, 06:04 PM
I think it sounds like a solid starting strategy. I'm not sure I would go into PPC until you see what the other venues bring your way.

Another thing you might do is contact the local television and radio stations and letting them know who you are. A lot of the local morning shows look for local business people to interview or to serve as an expert for a segment. This time of year, buying your kid a musical instrument for Christmas might be a hot topic. Just let the local people who do radio and television know that you're available and what your areas of expertise are. I worked in local TV for a while, so I have seen this approach generate some nice publicity in the past.

Also, send out a press release to the local newspaper and any business papers or magazines in the area. You might also want to look and see if there are any local parenting publications. Most local magazines and newspapers are always looking for filler or a unique story idea. All it takes is your time to write the release and send it and you never know what might come from it.

Anyway, just a few more things you might want to consider. Please do let us know how things go.

boogle
10-14-2010, 07:34 PM
Thanks a lot for the ideas on getting the media involved. We do have a local parent magazine and you are right, Christmas is a great time to talk about buying instruments. I have been back and forth on the PPC thing too, do you have any other suggestions for getting people initially aware of the various blogs and vlogs?

Blessed
10-15-2010, 12:02 AM
I want to add my voice for contacting local media sources - I do some freelance writing for a local paper here and businesses like yours are the ones we're always looking for to write about. Make sure your press releases are good otherwise they'll end up in the trash, but outside of that definitely pursue all of the free publicity you can.

As for making people aware of your blogs etc... keep them visible in your promo pieces, in your signage at the studio, on your e-newsletter, etc... and you'll start getting people to stop and visit - from there it will mushroom and grow.

Lyrafire
10-15-2010, 10:51 AM
That all sounds good, and I think it's good that you include parents in the marketing plan. But I also think that most parents let their kids do something like this because the kids ask (bug them) to do it. Thinking of that, how about if you add YouTube videos of some of your pupils rocking out (with parental permission)? Their friends will flock to see them. I love the site, by the way. The theme really says "cooool, man."

KristineS
10-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Thanks a lot for the ideas on getting the media involved. We do have a local parent magazine and you are right, Christmas is a great time to talk about buying instruments. I have been back and forth on the PPC thing too, do you have any other suggestions for getting people initially aware of the various blogs and vlogs?

One thing many people forget is to put the url of their blogs and websites on everything. On the bottom of your e-mails, in every press release, on any promo items you give away, on every piece of literature, on your business cards, everywhere. Another way to get the blogs noticed is to look for other blogs that talk about teaching kids music, or setting up bands for kids or whatever, and leaving insightful and useful comments. Most comment forms will also allow you to leave your name and a link to your website or blog. This generates links and, if your comments are interesting, will get people to check out your site.

greenoak
10-15-2010, 08:24 PM
it sounds good.... a really good way to use facebook and get your name out there would be to take some pictures of your class and tag the kids...that would put you on all their pages.... or take a picture of a local band and tag them.... tagging is major to a lot of stores i know about...aome get permission, most dont....
we got a great start on facebook thanks to my daughter and my daughter in law....both have over 200 friends and both promoted our greenoak business page..leading to lots of early fans...
also i would put lots of freebies, useful ones!!! on your page...making you a real helpful place.or a fun freebies like a utube of a great guitar solo .....check out the facebook guru.grandma mary, she puts on lots of interesting links and nice freebies.....http://www.grandmamaryshow.com/facebook-tutorials

Grandma Mary
11-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Sounds like a great strategy. And thanks Greenoak for the shout out. I think you may be stretching yourself a bit thin with all the sites you are planning on working. I would leave Twitter last. If you are trying to reach parents and their kids, I think building your blog, YouTube and Facebook are good starting points. Definitely contact the local media as people have mentioned.

Also see if you can connect with other local music/parent/mom bloggers to do some cross-promotion or guest blogging.