PDA

View Full Version : New Survey says: 71 percent of 'Tweets' are ignored

Harold Mansfield
10-13-2010, 08:37 AM
We have discussed the effectiveness of Twitter as a marketing tool in the past.
I myself have long questioned the validity of others on different forums and supposed "Guru's" that claim huge successes with Twitter. Although I have a crap load of Twitter accounts, I just didn't see it and have suspected for a long time that there is just too much shouting on Twitter for anyone to gain any marketing edge.

Now a new survey seems to validate what many of us have been saying:

Toronto-based social media analytics company Sysomos scanned 1.2 billion messages that were sent in August and September 2009 to try and get some idea of the kind of conversations that are going on.

They discovered that more than seven in every 10 tweets sink without any kind of reaction from the world.

Source: Survey: 71 percent of tweets are ignored - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/social.media/10/12/wired.tweets.ignored/index.html)

Blessed
10-13-2010, 09:33 AM
Certainly doesn't surprise me - it's just too much noise in my already noisy world.

Of course it's been months since I logged in to my Twitter account...

greenoak
10-13-2010, 01:44 PM
im kind of glad to hear this....since i cant get into doing twitter....
also hasnt facebook passed google in some way? does that mean i should but more effort into keywords on facebook? does it mean our facebook would come up on google searches? or just facebook searches?
we are over 950 fans now...!!!

cbscreative
10-13-2010, 01:50 PM
I haven't logged into my Twitter account for at least 30 years or so. Prior to that, I didn't even have one. I'm glad I didn't miss something.

Harold Mansfield
10-13-2010, 01:51 PM
im kind of glad to hear this....since i cant get into doing twitter....
also hasnt facebook passed google in some way? does that mean i should but more effort into keywords on facebook? does it mean our facebook would come up on google searches? or just facebook searches?
we are over 950 fans now...!!!

You should never,ever, ignore your placement in search engines nor turn you back on keeping your site optimized for them. Facebook itself is still just a website...it is not a search engine and search engines are what people use to find information. That won't change anytime soon.

Yes, your Facebook page should show up in search results, but your website should show up first.

ParaTed2k
10-13-2010, 03:29 PM
I wonder how that compares to other forms of advertizing and marketing. For instance, what percentage of radio/tv spots actually generate a response? I know I stopped putting ads in newspapers because they were expensive and generated nothing. My facebook has generated good reponses, but only fair business. I'm just starting to use Twitter, so the jury is still out.

KristineS
10-13-2010, 04:15 PM
I wonder how many of those people sending those Tweets put any effort into building relationships on Twitter rather than just sending out random messages. You have to pay attention to get attention and a lot of people don't do that. I guessing if the study were of people who were on Twitter and worked to be part of the community the lack of attention to their Tweets would be much different.

Patrysha
10-13-2010, 07:13 PM
I am still feeling the twitter love. I enjoy my time on there and connections made through there have led to business. Of course things are ignored, that happens to emails. voice mails, letters and ads on radio and television to. Tuning out is part of any audience experience...

BlueOrange
10-13-2010, 08:17 PM
I still use Twitter to push out some messages and network with people in various industries. I saw an article just today on a new integration Bing is doing to show you which of your Facebook friends like what you are searching for: Bing, Now With Extra Facebook: See What Your Friends Like & People Search Results (http://searchengineland.com/bing-now-with-extra-facebook-see-what-your-friends-like-52848)

Blessed
10-13-2010, 10:50 PM
I wonder how many of those people sending those Tweets put any effort into building relationships on Twitter rather than just sending out random messages. You have to pay attention to get attention and a lot of people don't do that. I guessing if the study were of people who were on Twitter and worked to be part of the community the lack of attention to their Tweets would be much different.

This is the key - when I was more active with my Twitter account I did my best to respond to people I wanted to network with or already had a "relationship" of sorts with - and I quickly unfollowed anyone who simply posted annoying random Tweets - therefore... my response rate was more than 30%, but I only followed a handful of people and local businesses.

Steve B
10-14-2010, 05:54 AM
That means that 29% of them are NOT ignored. That's a stunningly high percentage in my opinion.

greenoak
10-14-2010, 06:50 AM
eborg....sADLY i dont ever actually try to optimize my website....and never have....so i guess im not neglecting it....i do try and put new words in the now in part , as new things and ideas come in..ive never actually read or understood what optimizing even means..... we use the site a lot,referring people, its posted wherever we are, , linking back and forth within our internet nets...so i guess im doing everything we always did with our site and now we are doing facebook too....
any hints?
facebook has cut into my blog time for sure...but not website.....

Harold Mansfield
10-14-2010, 11:40 AM
That means that 29% of them are NOT ignored. That's a stunningly high percentage in my opinion.
I agree. I would have though it to be more like 10-20 percent of Tweets are actually read or responded to.

eborg....sADLY i dont ever actually try to optimize my website....and never have....so i guess im not neglecting it....i do try and put new words in the now in part , as new things and ideas come in..ive never actually read or understood what optimizing even means..... we use the site a lot,referring people, its posted wherever we are, , linking back and forth within our internet nets...so i guess im doing everything we always did with our site and now we are doing facebook too....
any hints?
facebook has cut into my blog time for sure...but not website.....

It's a big question if you have never studied anything, but here is a relatively short explanation that covers the basics:
SEOmoz | Perfecting Keyword Targeting & On-Page Optimization (http://www.seomoz.org/blog/perfecting-keyword-targeting-on-page-optimization)

greenoak
10-14-2010, 12:18 PM
thanks!!! ...guess i should read it and then give it to my web person.... hopefully we do a lot of it already...we knowits used by lots of the folks who come to see us...

grabbd
11-09-2010, 09:57 AM
I always ignored tweets from my followers. Now that I think about it I really should try to engage with some of the followers to build a relationship with them. It just makes sense and it only takes a few minutes out of my day to respond to several people.

If it helps with bringing a few more users/businesses to my site then it's well worth it.

KristineS
11-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Definitely build relationships. If all you're doing on Twitter is constantly putting out a stream of use my site, buy my stuff, me,me, me, you will get ignored. The people who get retweeted and talked about are the people who've taken the time to support others and form relationships.