PDA

View Full Version : Wordpress 3.0 'Thelonious' is finally out !

Harold Mansfield
06-17-2010, 02:04 PM
You've probably already seen the notice in your dashboards, so I'll keep this one short and sweet:

WordPress › Blog WordPress 3.0 “Thelonious” (http://wordpress.org/development/2010/06/thelonious/)

3.0 is faster, stabler, and more secure, so you can focus on what matters (your audience) and let the rest fade to the background.

Custom post types, MU merge, menu editor, Twenty Ten theme, over 1,200 bug fixes... there's so much to enjoy in this new release, we're really proud of it. It's the best WordPress yet, and available for a limited time for only free ninety nine. ;)

Tell your friends, help them upgrade, write new themes that use the new features, spread the good word.

Love,
Matt Mullenweg
Matt Mullenweg — aka Photo Matt — on WordPress, Web, Jazz, Life, and Photography (http://ma.tt) | WordPress › Blog Tool and Publishing Platform (http://wordpress.org)

I'm all giddy inside.
There is a new video on Wordpress T.V. as well:
http://wordpress.tv/2010/06/17/introducing-wordpress-3-0/ (http://wordpress.tv/2010/06/17/introducing-wordpress-3-0/)

vangogh
06-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Funny. I noticed a few minutes ago and was going to post the same thing, mostly to let you know.

Harold Mansfield
06-17-2010, 05:56 PM
Funny. I noticed a few minutes ago and was going to post the same thing, mostly to let you know.

Ha, I was actually trying to beat you to the punch:) I knew it would be one of us to post it up.

I actually did a fresh install, with the network settings and it was pretty painless.
Haven't updated anything yet though.

vangogh
06-17-2010, 07:48 PM
Yeah it probably was going to be you or me posting 3.0 was out.

I haven't installed it yet. I did download it and will install it locally first to make sure nothing in my theme breaks. Maybe over the weekend I'll take it live.

I've been running one of the release candidates locally, though I haven't played with it much yet. Seems to be working fine though and I like some of the new features.

Harold Mansfield
06-17-2010, 08:14 PM
I have more than a few plug ins on my older stuff, that work fine now but haven't had an update in a while. Actually 1 or 2 of them have been abandoned and nothing has taken their place. I've been able to keep them going, but that worries me.

I hear that things will not be backwards compatible, but from here on out everything will be.

vangogh
06-18-2010, 12:49 AM
Plugins are part of it for me too. I'm slowly working on a redesign for my site and was hoping to finish the design before 3.0 was out and then develop for 3.0. I guess the development part will still be the same, but I may hold off upgrading on my live site for a bit. We'll see I guess.

Tons of new stuff in 3.0. I think with custom_post_types and custom taxonomies WordPress has fully reached CMS status. The new navigation system is going to be great for everyone. You can now update WP, themes and plugins all in one shot. Lot's of great stuff for everyone.

jamestl2
06-18-2010, 09:22 PM
Just installed and upgraded 3.0 on a few of my sites as well (my test space and my business site).

Must say some of the features are looking pretty useful. I'm really liking the new menu feature. Haven't even started to dive into it yet though.

Here's a list of pretty much everything the new version features:
Version 3.0 WordPress Codex (http://codex.wordpress.org/Version_3.0)

There's a lot there to get into also, especially on the developer side. Once my themes start to get more developed, it'd be a good idea to make them 3.0 friendly.

Harold Mansfield
06-18-2010, 11:25 PM
I'm going to start updating tomorrow. Just been thinking over the last day about a couple of plug ins that I know I will have to dump.

I got past clients already emailing me about upgrading like it's some kind of new gas mask filter that they need to go into battle, so I guess I'd better get to it.

One thing thing this does for me is helps me separate a whole list of half finished projects or abandoned ideas that I can dump and delete. No since in upgrading them.

But it also brings to light a few that I need to get on. You know you have too much when you get an email about a site that you forgot you had (because it doesn't make any money), but people still leave comments on it an ask you questions.
This new update will probably cause me to clean out around 10 sites. That is a good thing.

vangogh
06-19-2010, 01:12 AM
I'll probably install it locally this weekend and see how it works with the backup of my site. I'm pretty sure it'll break a few plugins I was using, but not so much any more. Part of why I may just wait to finish my redesign before upgrading. I'll probably have to upgrade the live server first though since it'll likely be awhile before I have a new design set and coded.

There are a lot more new features in 3.0 than any other version I've see. They all look good and useful too.

Harold Mansfield
06-19-2010, 10:46 AM
I just got a few emails from theme designers that I use that basically said to hold off on upgrading until they can fully test their product and distribute compatibility updates.

Seems like they could have gotten those out a little sooner than 2 days later but at least they communicated something and are offering compatibility of themes purchased in the past....which is cool.

On the WPMU forum, the day of the release, people were asking about compatibility and upgrades and they had everything ready in a matter of hours. Good stuff. They obviously have been preparing way in advance.

A lot of people there were running the beta versions of 3.0 for a while anyway.

Harold Mansfield
06-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Well, I just did an update from MU to 3.0 and it was pretty painless and pretty automated. The only thing I lost was some branding changes in the Wordpress files, but they are easy enough to replace.

Love the upgrade all at once feature.
I only had around 5 plug ins that needed updating, but around 42 themes as well and those all went off without a hitch. Everything is current.
It runs pretty smooth too.

I did have to add a line to htaccess and config.php but it was self explanatory.
Also the blogs.php file is now obsolete so that had to be deleted along with the line of code that you added to .htaccess

The last site to do is also my oldest. I know there will be some issues...I have to wait for the theme update anyway.

I did notice one thing. Strangely absent are any instructions on how to access the or blog network functionality but I did find a nice tutorial here :
http://journalxtra.com/2010/06/activating-wordpress-3-0-multi-site-formerly-multi-user-mu/.
I know I do this stuff all of the time, but it really has become a lot simpler to use.

vangogh
06-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Yeah, you had a lot to check to make sure it was still working. Glad to hear it all went off without a hitch. I didn't have time to test it on my site this weekend. Too many other things that took precedence.

I've seen instructions of getting the blog network working in a few places. I've been seeing them for months actually. Good tutorial, though.

KristineS
06-21-2010, 01:17 PM
I think I'll leave my blogs where they are until you guys test 3.0 a bit more. I'm already seeing prompts on my blogs for the upgrade, but I'm not feeling too eager to do that right now.

Harold Mansfield
06-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Just updated my oldest blog to 3.0. No issues, even the theme, which I installed 2 years ago, works...no problems.

I had to ditch 1 plug in that I was keeping going with a paper clip and duct tape anyway, but all in all. Not one problem.

If that blog can take the upgrade without any issues, any others should be just as easy.

vangogh
06-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Funny about the paper clip and duct tape.

Yeah I'm thinking my site will be fine with the upgrade. I'm not all that concerned about it. I figured I would be good and test it locally first. You can even check to see if plugins are compatible before upgrading, And it's not like I couldn't go back a version if something did get messed up.

Or as a last resort I could apply more duct tape and paper clips. :)

Harold Mansfield
06-22-2010, 07:29 PM
This will make you cringe. I did all of my updates so far without backing up anything.
I just pressed the button and walked away.:eek:

Of course I know in the back of my mind that if something went terribly wrong I could just restore the whole thing back to yesterday, but it was kind of exhilarating just going for it.

vangogh
06-22-2010, 07:53 PM
I sometimes do the same thing. I also know I can get a backup if I really need it and I've found a few creative ways over the years to find content that's no longer present.

Most of the time I'll at least backup my database.

KristineS
06-23-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm kind of itching to upgrade now. I suppose it's safe enough, because I will back-up. Plus, if I blow everything to smithereens I know where to find Vangogh. :D

vangogh
06-23-2010, 02:24 PM
I may be hiding :)

KristineS
06-23-2010, 04:23 PM
I know it's Wednesday, so I know where you would be. Unless it's raining, but then I still know where you'd be.

You can run, but you can't hide.

vangogh
06-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Oh I can hide it I want to. You only think you know where I live and what I do.

KristineS
06-23-2010, 06:25 PM
O.k., that's a little ominous.

I'm starting to think you really are a robot.

vangogh
06-23-2010, 07:01 PM
I am not a robot. I am not a robot. I am not a robot. That does not compute. Circuits overloading. Have to go now.