PDA

View Full Version : Do you practice poor LinkedIn etiquette ?

Harold Mansfield
12-27-2016, 12:20 PM
If you've ever heard me speak of it, I hate LinkedIn. Not the tech or function of platform itself, it's the people on it. IMO LinkedIn is full of desperate spammers who think amassing numbers of strangers will miraculously turn into sales. I hate the groups. I hate the way people you don't know, and have made no attempt to get to know you send you connection requests with the default "Join my network" message. I hate even going to the site because I know I'll have to clean up a bunch of spam messages.

But, it's the only one like it and if you're in business you should have a LinkedIn account, whether you actually use it or not, just in case. To me LinkedIn is like the clock on a VCR. Very few people ever stopped to understand how it works, and even fewer take the time to set it properly.

This Hootsuite article maps out some of the most common LinkedIn fails that drive me nuts.
https://blog.hootsuite.com/linkedin-etiquette-fails/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=owned_social&utm_campaign=ent%7Cglo%7Csocial_hootsuite

But I think it could go much further. Do any of you use LinkedIn regularly, or are you like me? Have a profile but rarely use it for anything.

turboguy
12-27-2016, 04:10 PM
I am like you. I have a personal account and one for my business. I have never posted anything and the only things I do on it are when someone wants to connect I accept them. I am not sure why. Most are just connecting in the hope of selling me something I don't want. I think I have looked at one other persons page since I have been on LinkedIn.

tallen
12-27-2016, 06:47 PM
I "use" LinkedIn, meaning I have an up-to-date profile there, and lately I have been checking my "newsfeed" there, oh, somewhere between once a month and once a week -- I find some of the articles posted there are sometimes pretty interesting (there are a couple of topic areas that I follow). I have pages for my businesses but they are not too useful (my businesses are consumer oriented, not B2B). I do use LinkedIn to research other people (old acquaintances, new contacts, people that I've read about...), and it was pretty useful when evaluating colleges for my son (e.g., LinkedIn compiles information on the career trajectories of alumni from different colleges, using user profiles). I don't post anything, and am not out seeking new connections, and turn down the occasional connection request from random people that I don't know (I don't really get that many). I am not looking for a new job, but a lot of my students are (a good proportion of my connections are my former students).

Harold Mansfield
12-28-2016, 10:35 AM
The icing on the cake for me was how they abandon features.
Whether it be company pages, or articles, or feeding your latest blog post to your profile, or ask the experts, or whatever...they hyped them one day, and then they were gone.

I'm curious to see what MS is going to do with it. The LinkedIn learning (LinkedIn purchased Lynda.com, then MS purchased LinkedIn) ) seems to be getting off to a good start.

If they integrate some Office features to LinkedIn, maybe One Drive, connect profiles to Outlook, and add Skype to it...of course I'll check it out.

idealsolutions
01-09-2017, 09:01 PM
I have a LinkedIn account but like you I rarely use it. When I do, it is definitely not to "connect" with people. I typically just enjoy perusing the feed for interesting content. Somehow I have like 450 followers though.

extramile
01-13-2017, 10:32 AM
I found the interface pretty poor. A little hard to navigate.

LogansWalk
01-17-2017, 12:01 PM
I've got an account but haven't logged-on in there in who knows how long.