PDA

View Full Version : Banners on my site that I didn't put there?

the goat
03-29-2009, 06:37 PM
On one of my websites I recently noticed that there are banners at the bottom of the posts that I didn't put there. They are only there when using IE not firefox, and they are only in the individual posts, not the categories.

You can see one here White Hen Pantry and the Story of Scotch Johnson | go2536 (http://www.go2536.com/2009/02/09/white-hen-pantry-and-the-story-of-scotch-johnson/) it is right under the sociable icons at the bottom of the post.

Has anyone ever had this happen?

vangogh
03-29-2009, 06:54 PM
I'm not looking in IE so I didn't see the banners, but looking at the source I do see a block of AdSense code right below the sociable icons. I don't see the AdSense block on your category pages.

Could you have added the AdSense code in single.php or are you using a plugin to place AdSense in posts. I'm not sure why they would be showing only in IE and not Firefox, but the code might be what's causing the banners to appear.

Harold Mansfield
03-29-2009, 07:23 PM
On one of my websites I recently noticed that there are banners at the bottom of the posts that I didn't put there. They are only there when using IE not firefox, and they are only in the individual posts, not the categories.

You can see one here White Hen Pantry and the Story of Scotch Johnson | go2536 (http://www.go2536.com/2009/02/09/white-hen-pantry-and-the-story-of-scotch-johnson/) it is right under the sociable icons at the bottom of the post.

Has anyone ever had this happen?

Happened to me once. I was updating a blog that I don't look at everyday, and found some links (4) in the sidebar that I didn't put there, but they were masked, so you couldn't see them unless you opened the sidebar.php file which I just happened to adding something to.

I did a whois check on the site owners and sent them all nasty emails. One lady answered me back and was very apologetic, and explained that she had used a service provider that promised to get here all kinds of back links with their service (although she wouldn't give me a name.

Apparently I had been hacked by some jack ass, probably from DP since that site was in my sig at the time.

I just removed them, and changed my log in and password. Occasionally I do see in my stats that someone has tried to access theme files, or the admin panel, looking for a quick door into your site...it's pretty common, especially if you post your sigs on webmaster forums as big as DP...lotta desperate broke webmasters there looking to beat the system.

Best you can do is delete the code, and check the rest of your files to make sure that haven't added anything else, and change your password.

I haven't had a problem since, but I am always on the look out.