PDA

View Full Version : Success with LinkedIn?

TAMc10
10-16-2014, 05:14 PM
Hey everyone,
I recently started a daily fantasy sports website called Fanday.com. Needless to say, we are a small company and don't have a huge marketing budget, have been limited to word of mouth, Facebook, Twitter and e-mail newsletters so far. Has anyone had success marketing/networking for a small business on LinkedIn? I realize that it couldn't hurt, but we have a very small staff and any man-hours used inefficiently on such things can hurt us at this point in time. Thanks in advance!

-TM

Harold Mansfield
10-16-2014, 06:01 PM
Hey everyone,
I recently started a daily fantasy sports website called Fanday.com. Needless to say, we are a small company and don't have a huge marketing budget, have been limited to word of mouth, Facebook, Twitter and e-mail newsletters so far. Has anyone had success marketing/networking for a small business on LinkedIn? I realize that it couldn't hurt, but we have a very small staff and any man-hours used inefficiently on such things can hurt us at this point in time. Thanks in advance!

-TM

I don't think Linked In is going to do much to attract the demographic that you want for your specific business.

TAMc10
10-16-2014, 06:17 PM
We are mostly targeting college-educated males 18-45. I guess the thought was that the young professional types might be active on there as well as the older, more established crowd. I am not extremely familiar with LinkdIn, is this not the case?

Harold Mansfield
10-16-2014, 06:44 PM
We are mostly targeting college-educated males 18-45. I guess the thought was that the young professional types might be active on there as well as the older, more established crowd. I am not extremely familiar with LinkdIn, is this not the case?

That's true, but the second part of the equation is that you are looking for sports fans, and more over sports fans who play fantasy sports. No one goes to Linked In for sports, to discuss sports or connect with people over sports.

Part of Social Media Marketing is knowing which platform is best for what you want to accomplish, and where to best find your demographic.
Your target is more than just College educated males from 18-45. You can find that demo almost anywhere. You need to consider the full picture.

TAMc10
10-17-2014, 12:06 AM
I appreciate it. That was helpful.

Joey90
11-05-2014, 08:17 AM
I think it's still worth using LinkedIn though as while people don't go on there to discuss sports your demographic will be on there anyway, just not on there looking for sports relted topics, if this makes sense. I wouldn't discount it.

webdesignphx
11-05-2014, 12:49 PM
My sales crew uses LinkedIn all the time to find property managers and important persons of interest to contact. The hard part is you can not contact them without friending them first. I am not quite sure how they do it. But needless to say, it has worked for us. Picked up some big contacts/contracts from LinkedIn.

bjay99
11-11-2014, 09:54 AM
Have you tried Reddit? There are sports communities based around teams and sports. There are also communities based on fantasy sports fans. Check it out!

JesBursh
12-04-2014, 09:30 PM
I would not write off the platform too quickly. If you do venture onto LinkedIn, I highly recommend setting up a group. People create and join groups for all kinds of hobbies and interests. If you develop a well-run group that you monitor (to keep out spam), encourage conversation, and advertise (so you get some real members and conversations going), you could get some quality members through LinkedIn.

Brian Altenhofel
12-04-2014, 09:48 PM
My sales crew uses LinkedIn all the time to find property managers and important persons of interest to contact. The hard part is you can not contact them without friending them first. I am not quite sure how they do it. But needless to say, it has worked for us. Picked up some big contacts/contracts from LinkedIn.

You can send InMail on LinkedIn without first having a connection. Some of my biggest contracts have come from InMails that I've received. (I've never sent them.)

will.i.earn
12-05-2014, 07:57 AM
The great Rob Geller of Never Been Kissed said it best, "All you need is for one person to think you're cool, and you're in. Everyone else will be scared to question it."

That has been the case for me on LinkedIn. I too once thought that it's a lame platform. Everything changed when I befriended someone who's a legitimate influencer.

That the simplest most rewarding goal you can have on LinkedIn, to connect with an influencer in your niche.

aureliechazal
12-08-2014, 04:41 AM
I think you should look at groups. Here's what I found with a quick search:
https://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=138313&trk=vsrp_groups_res_name&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId%3A2219742821418031404271%2CVS RPtargetId%3A138313%2CVSRPcmpt%3Aprimary
https://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=120841&trk=vsrp_groups_res_name&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId%3A2219742821418031404271%2CVS RPtargetId%3A120841%2CVSRPcmpt%3Aprimary
https://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1932534&trk=vsrp_groups_res_name&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId%3A2219742821418031423351%2CVS RPtargetId%3A1932534%2CVSRPcmpt%3Aprimary

And there are lots of other groups just like those ones.
Linkedin groups were our main source of traffic in the beginning (you can easily get 100 to 300 hits from them, a guy even reported more than 1000 visits from a single post). But groups are also an amazing way to connect with people in your industry.

I really don't think you'll be wasting your time there :)

smallbizfinancier
01-07-2015, 08:22 PM
We've not had much success with marketing via LI. It's truly a site for recruiting. If you're looking to gain marketshare for your business, I would try advertising through Google Adwords and making video testimonials on YT. As far as adwords are concerned, you can set your own budget and watch the results-it's a science. For YT testimonials, try getting happy customers to record themselves using their iphone and then send you the file. You can upload these videos to YT and then promote the video through adwords. A word of advice, host the videos on YT and then post them on your site. Make sure that you website has all the SEO bells and whistles: page title, page description, meta keywords, H1 tags, etc and then watch your videos get views. Through Google Analytics you can measure your sites traffic before and after.

PS. Don't forget to add SEO to the videos themselves in YT: good looking and relevant thumbnail, enticing video title, powerful and rich with keyword description and don't forget to add your social media links at the bottom of the description to keep the conversation going!

Good luck and best!

ryantc
01-25-2015, 05:13 PM
There are a lot of other reasons why Linkedin is really valuable, some of the reasons you should use LinkedIn for your business:

Attract Business Clients
Accelerate Go To Market Opportunities
Generate New Leads & Fill Pipelines
Shorter Sales Cycles
Larger Per Deal Purchases
Longer Client Lifecycles
Get Found, Get Deals
Create Inbound Leads Consistently
Create a Targeted Tribe/ Online Communities
Maintain “Top of Mind Awareness”
Establish Cutting Edge Social Strategies

BradyArevalo
01-26-2015, 09:08 AM
You want people to get to your website, you need to branch out beyond LinkedIn. If you have interesting stories, I recommend you share them on sites like Reddit or whatnot. Especially if you have specific audiences there, you should be able to carve out a relatively small group of fans.

CCAdamson
01-26-2015, 09:44 AM
Not to steal the thread here but don't you have to be a paying member to use Inmail on LinkedIn?

Brian Altenhofel
01-26-2015, 09:54 AM
Not to steal the thread here but don't you have to be a paying member to use Inmail on LinkedIn?

Only to send.