PDA

View Full Version : WordPress 4.0 "Benny" is out and it looks good!

Harold Mansfield
09-04-2014, 07:03 PM
I've been waiting for this one for a long time. The editor just keeps getting better and better and much easier to create and present your content extremely well. No more screwing around with video dimensions to see how it looks, embeds are WYSIWYG. That's huge for me. Makes blogging so much more efficient.

Check out the cliff notes:

http://youtu.be/SYUMvznWlIU

vangogh
09-05-2014, 03:04 AM
I updated a little while ago, though I haven't had a chance to do anything inside yet. I did watch the video earlier today. Benny looks like another good release. Media has been getting easier to work with the last few updates, which is nice. I don't use the visual editor at all, but I think if it can be improved, it's a good thing for most people with WordPress sites.

I don't always agree with every little change they make. Sometimes I think before was better than the after. In general I've always like how the system continues to improve. There have been missteps here and there, but overall WP keeps getting better.

Harold Mansfield
09-05-2014, 08:48 AM
It's light years from when I started using it just before WordPress 2 came out. Back then it was still better than anything out there, but you had to know a little PHP, How to set up a database and install it on a server, there weren't that many themes so EVERYTHING was custom if you wanted something different.

You also REALLY had to know how to troubleshoot issues, because there were tons of them.
They didn't have all of these plug ins now that do everything for you like columns and tables. I remember having to build my first form.

You couldn't get by back then with just a little knowledge and some basic go to HTML strings. It was a little difficult if you didn't know anything.

These kids today have it easy (the definitive old man statement).

KristineS
09-05-2014, 11:24 AM
I like 4.0 - although it always takes me a bit to get used to a new upgrade. You get so used to doing things the old way.

And, yes, it is much easier for those of us who only know enough HTML to be dangerous! :p

webdesignphx
09-07-2014, 07:06 PM
Sweet!! I will have to check out Benny. Thanks for the post!

vangogh
09-10-2014, 01:46 AM
I still haven't had to do much with the new features, but I've had more time to use 4.0 and so far so good. I don't have any problems to report, though I can't remember the last time any WP upgrade caused a problem. I do have a small project for a client that's going to rely on the media manager. It's something I'll probably do next week and it'll give me a chance to really test the new media stuff.

Nostromov
09-11-2014, 10:42 PM
[..] the cliff notes

Are they ('cliff notes'), really? o.0

Doesn't seem that way, heh; *confused*

And, yes, it is much easier for those of us who only know enough HTML to be dangerous! :p
It's killer, WordPress; prolly my all-time-fav. CMS. :-$

Err., tnx 4 teh heads-up.. Received no update notice, yet, as Softpedia is (still) stuck on 4.0 RC 2 (pftt, download.cnet.com/ could be worse; w/teh update/update notice, hm); but, might go back to some (inactive) blogs and actually update.. && get back into playin' around w/WordPress, hehe.

P.S. Pro-tip: Reason to upgrade, ASAP (as always)! xD
cnet.com/news/ddos-attack-is-launched-from-162000-wordpress-sites/