PDA

View Full Version : WP e-Commerce Plugin

vangogh
03-19-2009, 02:49 AM
The WP e-Commerce plugin (http://www.instinct.co.nz/e-commerce/) has come up a few times here as a potential way to have a shopping cart on WordPress. I don't think any of us have used it yet, but I found a video on WordPress.tv (http://wordpress.tv/2009/03/16/getting-set-up-with-the-wp-e-commerce-plugin-settings-and-configuration/) showing how to set it up. Thought a few of you might be interested in watching.

the goat
03-19-2009, 08:22 AM
Your timing is impeccable vangogh. I am set to start building my first wordpress site with this plugin this week. I will be sure to let you know how it goes and submit it for review when I finish.

vangogh
03-19-2009, 11:58 AM
Nice. Just happened across the video and knew the plugin had been mentioned a few times, but no one here had used it yet. Let us know what you think. I know there's a gold version of the plugin that costs some and I think there are all sorts of addons you can pay to get. Hopefully the free version is more than enough to run a cart. The one thing I think might be issue is a way to connect to a merchant other than PayPal or Google Checkout.

By the way WordPress.tv often has some pretty good videos. It's worth subscribing to.

billbenson
03-19-2009, 11:21 PM
I watched it for a bit, but it implied that the only checkouts available were paypal and google which is somewhat limiting. Other than that it seemed interesting other than you need to pay for a number of features.

vangogh
03-19-2009, 11:58 PM
That's what I thought too. I think their gold cart allows for other merchant accounts to be added. Just checked and they do

The Gold Cart module allows you to integrate your shopping cart with Authorize.net, Payment Express, eWay, Paypal - Payflow Pro, Bluepay and Protx Modules.

And it's not as though he gold cart module costs much at $25. And given how much easier WordPress is to work with than things like osCommerce and Zen Cart it'll probably save money over the lifetime of the site.

KristineS
03-20-2009, 12:52 PM
I know some people in the t-shirt business who are using the WP e-commerce plug in. It seems to work pretty well. I haven't heard many complaints about it, and the it does seem to be easier to use than some of the shopping cart programs.

vangogh
03-20-2009, 02:16 PM
I've only heard good things about it too. I'm sure there are some things you might want that aren't included or maybe you need to pay for the Gold Cart extension, but if you can't spend $25 then what kind of business do you really have.

billbenson
03-20-2009, 05:38 PM
It's not really the $25 as much as I haven't seen enough people I know and respect using it to draw a conclusion if its the correct cart for me. I hate it when I spend money on something and decide not to use it. It's more of a principal thing than the money.

It did look good in that video though. Maybe I'll look at the rest of the video this weekend.

vangogh
03-20-2009, 05:57 PM
Understandable. The only way I can ever know is to try it. I'll try something because people I respect are using it, but in the end I need to see for myself. In this case the free version of the plugin should be enough to see if it suits your needs. I don't like spending money on things without knowing they'll be useful to me either. One reason trial versions of software is such a great thing.