PDA

View Full Version : How do I get way more Twitter Followers?

MedTutor
07-03-2014, 08:33 PM
Hi guys,

I have a tutoring biz and I'm present on social media: Facebook, Google+, and Twitter. I have a decent following on google and facebook but I just can't seem to get my twitter followers up! - I barely get a few followers a month. Granted, I mainly tweet about medical school and medical board exam related stuff (maybe it's a very small niche)?

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Freelancier
07-04-2014, 08:06 AM
What's the point of your social media accounts?

Harold Mansfield
07-06-2014, 10:58 AM
Twitter is a completely different animal than Facebook and G+, and it needs to be treated differently. The obvious being that you only have 140 characters to get your point across, so how you craft your message is extremely important. Even if you are posting the same things across all of your profiles, how you post it to Twitter needs to be crafted just for Twitter.

Twitter doesn't filter your stream. So whatever you are following comes through. That means you are competing with hundreds of messages a day across the average follower's stream.

You also can't depend on images helping you since not everyone uses a Twitter app or client that shows images by default. That's not to say that you shouldn't use media, you should. Many people access Twitter directly, so it helps if your stream is filled with a variety of content. I noticed you aren't using any imagery at all.

I looked at your Twitter profile and off the top of my head here are a few mistakes that you are making:

1. Your profile is not laid out well. Your main image is blurry and actually pretty boring.
Your avatar is the same. Very non descriptive, free icon look. If your intent is to attract medical students you should use an avatar that represents medicine, medical school, or something that has a chance of attracting your demographic when they see it in a stream or retweet.

2. I'd probably shorten your description to get more to the point. Seems like a lot of filler that doesn't help you are all. If you have specific qualifications you should mention them. "...taught to you by highly qualified professionals!" reads like filler crap. Qualified how?
"High-quality tutoring"? wasted space. Is this an online thing? Personal one on one tutoring? THAT'S what should be there. Tell me how it's high quality.
You don't have much space or much time. Make every word count.

3. You're mixing your messages. Sometimes you are promoting your tutoring service and then others you are promoting how to start a tutoring service. Those are 2 different audiences. Pick one and stick with it.

4. You're just shouting and announcing. You're not trying to engage with people. Ask questions, direct them to read more, use some humor every now and then. Every single Tweet doesn't have to be promote, promote, promote. Me, me, me. Surely people in your demographic find other related things interesting that you can share with them.

5. You're not engaging with anyone else or retweeting the posts of others related to your niche or those that you are following or are following you.

6. Use #hashtags. Hashtags when used properly are how people find you when searching for your subject matter. Hashtags can also attract retweets by others who care about or promote the same things.

7. Your destination is not the best. Your directing people to a free blogspot blog, and free Google sites website. That in of itself is not a bad thing, but yours do not look very professional or credible. They look like they were just plopped up and fingers crossed. If you expect others to see you as a credible business or service you really should have your own website. At the very least make what you have look better. You can't use all free stuff and compete with others who are going the extra mile.

I see that your URL shortner is ow.ly. Does that mean you are using Hootsuite, or just the URL shortener? If you are using Hootsuit, I highly recommend that you watch the video tutorials.

KristineS
07-07-2014, 11:02 AM
Great advice from Harold, and I'd also add one thing, are you following strategically? People tend to look at numbers and think those are what matter, but it isn't the number of followers, it's the quality. In this case, you're focusing on a specific group, which will have a finite number of available followers, so there is a limit to how much your follower count can grow. Your job is to make contact with the people in this group, follow them, and present such valuable information that they follow you back. Random followers won't help you. What you need is followers from your specific target market.

MedTutor
07-08-2014, 09:12 AM
Wow, thanks for telling it like it is! I didn't realize all of that. I will try to incorporate everything you said.

KristineS, I've been trying to get followers from just the med school niche - I will definitely engage others more.

Thanks for the great advice guys.

Joey90
10-29-2014, 11:37 AM
Interact with people; retweet, get involved in conversations.
Follow people who are in the same line of business as you and see who they follow and who follows them. Then follow them too. Try and use a mixture of business tweets and more lighthearted tweets, and don't push your product too much. People often scroll through these pushy tweets and are much more likely to want to see what you do after getting to know you.
It takes time but it will happen, very slowly. Think quality, not quantity.

Sarah - Dufferin Media
11-08-2014, 06:45 AM
Follow other twitter users who are in your same geographical location.
Use lots of hashtags in your posts, especially with #Mytown
Unfollow people that do not follow you back

likeaboss
06-01-2015, 03:37 PM
Twitter is a completely different animal than Facebook and G+, and it needs to be treated differently. .....
I see that your URL shortner is ow.ly. Does that mean you are using Hootsuite, or just the URL shortener? If you are using Hootsuit, I highly recommend that you watch the video tutorials.

Great points! Took the words out of my mouth.

CardSSmile
06-07-2015, 06:01 PM
Very good anwsers! Helped me a lot!

Kumar Palani
06-09-2015, 02:44 AM
Twitter is a bit more complicated to manage than any other social networks. Basically because of the way it works, the key is to make it short and yet good enough to be shared.

As in any other social sites providing really useful and rare information will always work. You touch their Emotions, interests or give information that will make them respect you, or you can also try to be a bit funny. (yet keeping the professional touch). To get more followers and shares, you can use trends and take time to create an amazing message (text) on what ever is trending using hashtag, this might win more followers and shares..!

MarkAselstine
06-13-2015, 11:02 AM
Follow people who you find interesting. Actually engage in your topics-too often businesses want it to be a 1 way conversation where they push their information out there and then they go away.

Unlike a lot of other folks-I do think there's a legitimizing factor in play once you get into a few thousand followers, so it's worth the time and effort.

Also, pictures and video's tend to lead to more engagement than simple words-

tippingpointagency
07-27-2015, 05:10 PM
there are tons of ways to gain more twitter followers, follow people that would be interested in your company. Also search for tweets that are niche specific and engage with the users. We do a lof ot social media management for clients, and its often easier than one might think, just time consuming

SmallbizGuy
07-28-2015, 11:48 PM
Hi guys,

I have a tutoring biz and I'm present on social media: Facebook, Google+, and Twitter. I have a decent following on google and facebook but I just can't seem to get my twitter followers up! - I barely get a few followers a month. Granted, I mainly tweet about medical school and medical board exam related stuff (maybe it's a very small niche)?

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Try using a 4 - 1 - 1 approach to tweeting. Give people information from 4 other experts in your field and credit them, share 1 unique useful bit of information that you have created yourself, and share 1 promotional thing for your business. You can adjust the ratio to fit you, but the idea is to focus on giving people these "content gifts" and provide them with great information for nothing. Be patient and your followers will increase over time.

veritasvisions
08-02-2015, 08:23 PM
I have about 366 followers on twitter currently in about 3 weeks time and i did it legitimately using the advice of experts in their field, Gary Vaynerchuk and Kim Garst. I highly suggest you follow them and buy Kim Garst 10 dollar product for twitter.

Here are a few things i did to get 366 followers in a short time.

1) You have to post many times a day. I post at least 20 times a day. Please just listen to that advice and not the advice of people that say that's too much. Anyone that has a viable business from twitter does this. Kim Garst has a 7 figure business on twitter and she posts 20 times a day, it's automated though.

2) go to Mangeflitter.com. You can automatically follow and unfollow people based on twitters guidelines. You can even target people that are in your target market. Another feature allows you to post reoccuring posts. Don't overuse this feature too much as twitter may penalize you if you do.

3) Leave thank you messages to all your followers, but here is the key and this has worked incredibly well. Leave a video message to people instead of a worded message. Why? No one else is doing it and it gives you a massive amount of exposure and retweets. Trust me on this. My highest exposure tweets were video messages thanking people that they followed me.

4) Download the crowdfire app. This app allows you to leave an automated direct message to everyone that follows you. I recommend sending everyone to a piece of valuable content instead of something spammy.

5) Lastly, how to get more traffic to your website is the most important thing. The way you do that is by posting good content to it and then consistently sharing it on your twiter account in a reoccuring way using manageflitter.

This Info is Gold.

Harold Mansfield
08-03-2015, 01:10 PM
I have about 366 followers on twitter currently in about 3 weeks time and i did it legitimately using the advice of experts in their field, Gary Vaynerchuk and Kim Garst. I highly suggest you follow them and buy Kim Garst 10 dollar product for twitter.

Here are a few things i did to get 366 followers in a short time.

1) You have to post many times a day. I post at least 20 times a day. Please just listen to that advice and not the advice of people that say that's too much. Anyone that has a viable business from twitter does this. Kim Garst has a 7 figure business on twitter and she posts 20 times a day, it's automated though.

2) go to Mangeflitter.com. You can automatically follow and unfollow people based on twitters guidelines. You can even target people that are in your target market. Another feature allows you to post reoccuring posts. Don't overuse this feature too much as twitter may penalize you if you do.

3) Leave thank you messages to all your followers, but here is the key and this has worked incredibly well. Leave a video message to people instead of a worded message. Why? No one else is doing it and it gives you a massive amount of exposure and retweets. Trust me on this. My highest exposure tweets were video messages thanking people that they followed me.

4) Download the crowdfire app. This app allows you to leave an automated direct message to everyone that follows you. I recommend sending everyone to a piece of valuable content instead of something spammy.

5) Lastly, how to get more traffic to your website is the most important thing. The way you do that is by posting good content to it and then consistently sharing it on your twiter account in a reoccuring way using manageflitter.

This Info is Gold.

Just curious why your Twitter or other social media profiles isn't linked to from your website.

99social
10-21-2015, 07:20 PM
Try reaching out and tweeting to large accounts within your niche - medical. You can look at their followers and try following them and see if they will follow you back, as you are a related account and you already know they are interested in that niche. If you're willing to invest some money, you can find software that can help you track this movement within your followers and help you connect to your audience.