PDA

View Full Version : Kneeling Chair?

Freelancier
03-17-2014, 07:57 AM
I'm looking for a recommendation for a kneeling chair. Something I can use for an hour or two at a time that'll help take the stress off my lower back without killing my knees at the same time.

I swear the warranty must have expired on my body parts....

Harold Mansfield
03-17-2014, 11:32 AM
I swear the warranty must have expired on my body parts....
Warranty expires at around 25 years old. After that you take your chances. Didn't they tell you?

Wozcreative
03-17-2014, 01:01 PM
Warranty expires at around 25 years old. After that you take your chances. Didn't they tell you?

I'm 28 now and my back has been giving in... I no longer can walk around for hours in a shopping mall without crazy pain in my upper back.. ;(
Sometimes I get my boyfriend to step on my back to crack it.. feels awesome but not sure it helps.

nealrm
03-17-2014, 01:19 PM

Few people read the manual. It's clearly stated in the light gray, subscript, fine print on page 5,432,435 "All parts are under warranty until the first full moon after the second Thursday following the first full week of the Hebrew month 335 moon cycles from the date you are born. Warranty claims are to be submitted in person to your creator. All items must be in the original packaging. " You can't say you were not warned.

Freelancier
03-17-2014, 01:39 PM
Few people read the manual.

That's because it was written in Hebrew. And my warranty appears to have expired when I turned 50.

Now does anyone have any insights on a kneeling chair I should buy?

nealrm
03-17-2014, 03:58 PM
Sorry, no.

But, if you find one that works well let us know.

billbenson
03-17-2014, 10:03 PM
I haven't really seen kneeling chairs being promoted in years. The standing desk has been the most popular thing lately.

Most of us hunch over at our desks. That eventually leads to bad posture an muscle deterioration in the upper back which hold your shoulders in place. The other thing is core exercises. They strengthen the muscles that help keep your spine in shape.

I'm not a fitness expert, but I do workout and read a lot of articles on fitness and exercise. It's kind of hard to do exercises for your upper back without a machine. And not everybody has a place for a machine and they are ugly. I have a 1600 dollar boflex that I got for $400 on craigslist. Used exercise equipment is cheap because people buy it, use it for a few weeks, and then use it to hang laundry on.

Most articles I've read suggest office workers stand up every 30 minutes. If you want to strengthen your upper back which I recommend, get some dumbells (they don't need to be very heavy). Put your chest over a small table and do 5 reps with the dumbell. It'll help and take 1 min to do. A half hour later do a plank for your core muscles which will definitely help support your spine. And keep repeating throughout your day.

If you go to Wikipedia Kneeling chair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kneeling_chair) you will see some differing opinions and studies on the use of these chairs.

I guess give on a shot and see how it works for you? Also, if you have a good massage therapist, they may be able to better tell if its working for you over time.

eina26
03-18-2014, 08:57 PM

Darn, that explains it.

JohnF
03-20-2014, 10:14 PM
I've never even heard of kneeling chairs. Aside from a standing desk, just setting you desk higher/chair lower might help with hunching. I've also had great success with back pain just by wearing Vibram Five Fingers or going barefoot half the time. Think that's more for lower back pain though. Thai massage also helps with all kinds of pain, but it's not cheap.

LauraCee
03-28-2014, 12:43 PM
I got one of those special cushions formy back, they fit on my computer chair. I'll try to find a link.

Freelancier
03-28-2014, 07:33 PM
I ended up getting this: Office Star Ergonomic Knee Chair with Memory Foam | Wayfair (http://www.wayfair.com/Office-Star-Products-Ergonomic-Knee-Chair-with-Memory-Foam-KCW773-OT2901.html)

It's ok, not wonderful, but it's a good change of pace for my back during the day. I swap out if I'm sitting in my normal chair more than 3 hours straight.