PDA

View Full Version : Thought I'd try out the standing desk

Brian Altenhofel
02-26-2014, 02:16 AM
My wife does a lot of pallet art, so we have a lot of pallets laying around all the time. So to give this standing desk thing a spin, I opted to just stack the pallets on my desk.

Yes, that is a Northgate OmniKey Ultra keyboard.

Harold Mansfield
02-26-2014, 09:57 AM
Does it work? Hows it feel?

Brian Altenhofel
02-26-2014, 05:29 PM
Feels great! I feel a lot better through the day so far. I find myself naturally taking 3-5 minute "breaks" about every 15-20 minutes, and I've noticed less back/shoulder pain.

Patrysha
02-26-2014, 08:06 PM
So the idea is to work the whole day standing up?

MyITGuy
02-26-2014, 08:38 PM
My cousin has a standing desk as well and loves it. I personally probably wouldn't mind it if I was moving about (like working with desktops/servers on a bench)...but not if I'm just standing in one spot looking at/writing code, e-mails and etc...

On a side note - Thats one old keyboard!

JohnF
03-03-2014, 02:16 PM
I've long thought about getting one. Do you find yourself sleeping better now that you're on your feet more?

David Hunter
03-03-2014, 05:36 PM
Is the standing desk still going great?!

Brian Altenhofel
03-04-2014, 12:35 AM
My cousin has a standing desk as well and loves it. I personally probably wouldn't mind it if I was moving about (like working with desktops/servers on a bench)...but not if I'm just standing in one spot looking at/writing code, e-mails and etc...

On a side note - Thats one old keyboard!

I didn't think I'd like it, but I'm finding that it helps me concentrate more. The ACER monitor in the middle has a wide vertical viewing angle, so if I'm watching a video from a conference or something I just move it to that screen and take a seat.

As for the keyboard... They just don't make keyboards like they used to. Even the newer mechanical ones don't have the same feel. The two sets of F-keys come in handy, plus I can remap certain keys (like switching CAPSLOCK and CTRL or locking comma and period, or even switch to Dvorak if I really wanted to learn it) directly on the keyboard with a DIP switch instead of relying on software.

It's not the oldest or heaviest keyboard I own. I have an IBM PS/2 keyboard from 1987 as well as an IBM-PC keyboard from 1983 that I kept around as "known working equipment" for fixing computers when I was doing that. The springs on those are way too noisy.

I've long thought about getting one. Do you find yourself sleeping better now that you're on your feet more?

I didn't have much of a sleep problem before switching to a standing desk. My previous sleep problems were pretty much cured by switching to a decent quality mattress.

Is the standing desk still going great?!

Yep. So far I'm still really loving it. Only downside is that I pretty much have to keep my boots on. If I use it barefoot I get some heel pain after only a few minutes, but my boots are very comfortable boots - I'm just not used to putting them on before going into my office (I work at home).

carloborja
03-05-2014, 10:23 AM
Thinking of standing while working too.

Does it really avoid the drowsiness you feel after lunch? I've always struggled with that. I was just thinking that maybe if I stood up while working I would be able to avoid getting sleepy during those times.

Brian Altenhofel
03-05-2014, 09:42 PM
Does it really avoid the drowsiness you feel after lunch?

I only have that issue with certain foods, but I haven't had that issue since standing up. Along the same lines, some foods that I enjoy tend to give me a headache if I do a lot of sitting after lunch, but I haven't noticed issues since switching to standing.

The biggest thing for me has been the forced breaks. I'm a bit of a workaholic, and I tend to not want to stop something once I've started it. I think the part about it forcing me to take regular breaks is a big step forward to me.

billbenson
03-05-2014, 10:16 PM
While I to like the standup desk concept (but not the $1k price), a healthier alternative is to stand up and do some exercise. I mean very few, like five squats. Whatever floats your boat. If you have a sport you like something that helps that. Do that every 15 min and you will be in good shape for what you like.

I work out of my home. For the people who work in cubicles, it may seem strange if you stand up and do some sort of exercise. My answer to that is the heck with what they think. If you do this, you will have more energy, concentrate better on your work, and depending on your goals, you may not need to go to the gym.

Just a thought.

Brian Altenhofel
03-06-2014, 06:47 AM
For what it's worth, my desk was 100% free thanks to Curbside Supply.

David Hunter
03-06-2014, 09:07 PM
I like free! ha. Maybe I should go pick up a stand up desk. :D

LeadMaster
03-14-2014, 04:15 PM
Do you transition between standing and sitting? I have found that to be ideal but honestly did lose interest in standing. I'll have to give it a try again! --Lauren

Brian Altenhofel
03-15-2014, 08:47 AM
If I'm actually having to do something, I'm standing. If I'm watching a video or reading documentation, I'm likely sitting. It really helps to have good monitors if you're going back and forth.

Brian Altenhofel
10-31-2015, 04:51 AM
I finally took the plunge and bought a Varidesk. Here's a before/after:

I bought it because I found that I was splitting my time between both standing and sitting, but when I was sitting I was losing productivity due to being limited to only my laptop. The Varidesk solves this problem by allowing me to raise and lower my workstation as I need it.

The model I bought is the Pro Plus 48 (http://www.varidesk.com/standing-desk-pro-plus-48). I wanted to go as big as possible because I often have reference material spread around my workspace. I also wanted my keyboard and trackball on a separate level.

My biggest worry when ordering the desk was that my keyboard wouldn't fit. (Us web developers are very particular about some of our tools.) My keyboard is a 1992 Northgate Omni Key Ultra-T. It's a little bigger than most modern keyboards, especially with the F-keys on the left side. Fortunately, it fit like a glove.

I kind of felt bad for the FedEx driver delivering it as the 48" unit arrives fully assembled and weighs in at 84lbs. I figured it would be heavier with how many reviews I'd read suggesting that the 30" and 36" models needed two people to unbox and setup. For me it was as easy as opening the top of the box (where the "this end up" arrows were pointing, reaching in and grabbing the keyboard tray, and pulling in a similar manner to pulling a snatch in the gym. Cleared the box, carried it into my office, and gently placed it on the desk. (Maybe my 2015 resolution to consistently go to the gym and push myself is causing some improvement.)

A lot of reviews mentioned lack of cable length in the raised position. That was not an issue for me. My desk is 72", so the computer takes up some space on the desk. All of my cables are the original cables that came with the equipment, and I still have plenty of slack at full extension. By the way, they apparently are listening to their customers because many reviews complained of a lack of cable management options. I received 5 hook and loop cable ties with my order.

Raising and lowering is very easy even with two 27" monitors mounted on it. The unit uses a spring assist system much like overhead doors. (I am curious if that is where the 45lb weight limitation comes from, because it doesn't look like a structural limitation. I may decide to modify it to support more weight later.)

billbenson
10-31-2015, 10:23 AM
I looked at it a while back (different brand). The whole desk table moved up and down. I think you will like it. The company I represent equipped all their customer service reps with one. Some liked it and some didn't. The difference there was it only moved the monitor and keyboard up and down.. I don't like the idea of not moving the whole work space.

I didn't buy one because they are expensive and I kept delaying. I think you will like it.

Brian Altenhofel
10-31-2015, 11:52 AM
I determined through the pallet setup that I like standing, but I'm not willing to play $2K+ for a non-crank desk that can be raised and lowered while loaded. With the 48" Varidesk, I'm losing a minimal amount of my usable workspace according to the tape measure, especially since I have the monitors mounted on arms. Maximizing the usable workspace retained was a main reason for going with the largest model.

The only sticker shock I got on this order was shipping. With it being an oversized item that is also over 70lbs, shipping was $135.

billbenson
10-31-2015, 01:55 PM
I had the worst job of my life when I was desperate and lost my career. Lasted about 6 months. Small company, but the owner, who was my boss made millions. Smart, but the biggest %^^(((((( hole I ever met. Every morning there was a new hole punched in the drywall. He managed by humilitaing you in front of your peers.

But I learned a lot there. He had procedures set up so everything was triple checked. A very clean operation. And it showed me the power of the internet for marketing. Surprised I didn't beat the hell out of him though.

Back to the poiint, He made sure everybody had the tools they need. I was a salesman in a cubicle. I had a computer, printer and UPS as did all the sales people. I diidn't have to walk down the hall to a central printer. I'm sure he would have bought multiple monitors or a desk such as you have if he thought it would increase productivity. Very smart.

Just because someone is a dick doesn't mean they aren't smart. - a little off subject as well.

LogansWalk
11-17-2015, 02:09 PM
Brian, nice set up you've got now! I've been sitting way too much as of late, wouldn't mind giving something like this a try but this damn plantar fasciitis has been killing me lately. Of course I google the standing desk and one of the first links pops up says standing is no more healthy for you than sitting. I swear, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't!

5 Ways Your Standing Desk Is Doing More Harm Than Good - US News (http://health.usnews.com/health-news/health-wellness/articles/2015/02/17/4-ways-your-standing-desk-is-doing-more-harm-than-good)

Harold Mansfield
11-17-2015, 02:29 PM
Brian, nice set up you've got now! I've been sitting way too much as of late, wouldn't mind giving something like this a try but this damn plantar fasciitis has been killing me lately. Of course I google the standing desk and one of the first links pops up says standing is no more healthy for you than sitting. I swear, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't!

So true. You just can't win these days. Just do what's best for you cause you know whichever way you go, down the line some "expert" is going to tell you it's wrong.

Brian Altenhofel
11-17-2015, 04:12 PM

5 Ways Your Standing Desk Is Doing More Harm Than Good - US News (http://health.usnews.com/health-news/health-wellness/articles/2015/02/17/4-ways-your-standing-desk-is-doing-more-harm-than-good)

Something important to note in that article is that the negatives are mostly from users not using a desk properly. Whether sitting or standing, ergonomics are critical. If you have to adjust your person to your desk and compromise proper posture and positioning, then both types of desks will cause problems.

billbenson
11-19-2015, 11:44 AM
The adjustable desk is the best. You want to be able to sit and stand. I have a friend who drinks a lot of coffee. He goes down and up a flight of stairs frequently. I get up and do some squats or play with some dumbbells every half hour or so. The point being you don't want to just sit. You need some movement.