PDA

View Full Version : Hobbies, Music, Movies...

ryand83
02-13-2014, 02:58 AM
Hmm figured I'd ask this just for curiosity sake

Hobbies of mine would be anything gaming related, geeky stuff

Music mostly metal minus Nu & Glam, ambience, industrial, etc etc..

Movies B rated horror flicks from the 80s!

vangogh
02-13-2014, 11:46 PM
I read a lot. Play softball most of the year and hike when I can. I watch more tv than I probably should, though it's often on just for background noise. I grew up listening to classic rock and heavy metal and have expanded my tastes into blues and jazz. I suppose I have somewhat of an eclectic taste in music. I like what I like and I can usually find things I like within any genre of music. Similar with movies. I like movies from all sorts of genres. I do like science fiction a lot, but I also like any character driven story. Special effects are nice, but without a good story I'd just as soon watch the documentary of how they created the special effects.

Harold Mansfield
02-18-2014, 01:55 PM
Hobbies? Unfortunately work is my hobby. Not so much what I do for clients, but my own personal side projects. Pretty much anything technology, audio visual, and gadget related also. If Charmin came out with USB toilet paper, I'd probably want to buy it.

I used to be a big gamer, but haven't gotten back into it in a while. I see games I want to try all of the time though.

Music? I grew up in Detroit on House and Techno music, so that's still my genre of choice. Mostly Chicago style House. Not big on commercial radio, and to me classic rock is the same 40 songs from 30+ years ago played over and over again. But then again, some people say House Music is just the same beat over and over again too.

Movies? I usually gravitate towards action, sci-fi and comedy first. Although very few comedies make me actually laugh. Once I've seen all of those I'll do thrillers, independent or smaller productions for something different.

When I need to get out, I usually will ether get together with friends for drinks, football, or a party. Dates. And at times I'll just venture out alone to see what's going on in Vegas.

I'm much more boring than I used to be, however, when I do go out there's more variety in what I do and who I do it with.

vangogh
02-18-2014, 02:45 PM
Unfortunately work is my hobby.

It's one of my hobbies too. What can I say? I enjoy the work I do. One reason I started as a freelance designer is because I used to come home from the 9-5 and I'd find myself learning how to design and develop websites.

I grew up in Detroit on House and Techno music

What? No Motown?

Harold Mansfield
02-18-2014, 03:39 PM
What? No Motown?
Of course I like it, but that was my Mom's era. My era was Derrick May, Kevin Saunderson, Juan Atkins (Called 'The Detroit Holy Trinity') , Allan Ester (and many others), Cybotron, and The Electrifying Mojo.

ryand83
02-18-2014, 07:01 PM
Yeah I love techie stuff too although I know less than I'd like to admit, I used to find myself helping my dad put computers together and such so I know a bit about that stuff.

vangogh
02-19-2014, 12:00 AM
but that was my Mom's era

It's not my era either. When I was a kid there was lots of good music in my house. It wasn't my era, but I listened and liked it. I figured growing up in Detroit Motown would have been played a lot and having heard it so much it might have stuck more. At least you like it and I can't blame you for also liking other things.

Yeah I love techie stuff too although I know less than I'd like to admit

Harold and I work on websites so we naturally learn about tech. I suspect part of why we both do what we do is because we had the interest in tech. It's ok to admit you don't know as much as you think you should. It's the first step toward learning more. It's also ok not to be so interested in it. As long as you know enough to for whatever life you want and career you have, it's all you really need to know.

huggytree
02-19-2014, 09:15 PM
i bought 2 really fast cars the past couple of years...i spend time with other car guys...going to cruises....ill be going to Shelbyfest in MO in April....hope to eventually go to a 1/4 mile track....i went 140mph in the GT500 last summer on a normal road.....i need to do that stuff where i don't go to jail....i enjoy going fast too much.

i also enjoy shooting guns(used to go weekly)...i was on a trap shooting league until i found out my friend was a crook

work is my #1 hobby, Kids #2

my favorite hobby is counting my money!

been spending my free time at night playing Xbox games (battle field 4 and assassins creed)

Music: country
Movies: don't like most of them...whatever is on HBO....i get bored with them...i watch shows like Pawn Stars and American Pickers....

Harold Mansfield
02-19-2014, 10:02 PM
i bought 2 really fast cars the past couple of years...i spend time with other car guys...going to cruises....ill be going to Shelbyfest in MO in April....hope to eventually go to a 1/4 mile track....i went 140mph in the GT500 last summer on a normal road.....i need to do that stuff where i don't go to jail....i enjoy going fast too much.

Too bad you don't live here. Las Vegas Motor Speedway has amateur racing in the summers where you can take your street cars (or whatever) and race others on the actual NHRA 1/4 Mile Drag Strip that they race the Championship on. I think it's like $5.
https://www.lvms.com/dragstrip/midnight_mayhem/

huggytree
02-20-2014, 03:51 PM
Too bad you don't live here. Las Vegas Motor Speedway has amateur racing in the summers where you can take your street cars (or whatever) and race others on the actual NHRA 1/4 Mile Drag Strip that they race the Championship on. I think it's like $5.
https://www.lvms.com/dragstrip/midnight_mayhem/

there's tracks around here too...most of the Shelby guys take their cars to oval tracks and do racing all day long.....im too fussy to beat on my car for hours straight + the stone chips

the Ford SVT club did a 1/4 mile track day, but I was too busy that weekend last year....ill try it once

the Dodge friends/club doesn't do anything fun....they like to cruise their 400+hp cars at 25 miles per hour through nature area's full of police...I almost fall asleep cruising with them

I need to buy a helmet

another issue here is the weather...high performance tires don't work well under 80 degrees....last year there weren't too many hot days.....under 80 degrees and I can spin my tires at 90 mph...its very dangerous with Good year f1's, but when its 90 degrees out they stick like slicks

levis_88
02-20-2014, 04:39 PM
i love watching movies. i love scrapbooking! unfortunately i have to leave all my scarpbooking things in my hometown=(

LeadMaster
02-21-2014, 03:28 PM
My hobbies are live music, Crossfit and blogging. Will be seeing Lady Gaga and Bryan Ferry this Spring. :) --Lauren

billbenson
02-21-2014, 05:44 PM
I pay people perfectly good money to hit me i.e. martial arts. It's fun. I always have bruises on my body. One of the styles I practice is ninjitsu which is basically killing and inflicting pain. Some of those classes really hurt.

I used to like cooking, but my current house has a lousy kitchen and I just don't have the time anymore. I had a lot of fun when I was younger but it seems like there isn't time for fun anymore.

huggytree
02-22-2014, 06:41 PM
I pay people perfectly good money to hit me i.e. martial arts. It's fun. I always have bruises on my body. One of the styles I practice is ninjitsu which is basically killing and inflicting pain. Some of those classes really hurt.

I used to like cooking, but my current house has a lousy kitchen and I just don't have the time anymore. I had a lot of fun when I was younger but it seems like there isn't time for fun anymore.

I wished I did martial arts as a kid....now im trying to get 2 of my kids into it....no interest....we took a trial course (1 hour a week for 6 weeks) and the kids hated it....yet they love to wrestle and fight each other.....its hard work and they hated the stretching and punching the air......ill bet if they could hit each other in the initial practice they'd love it

billbenson
02-22-2014, 07:44 PM
If you ever give it a second try, let me know. There are thousands of styles of martial arts many of which are good, but some are a better fit for different people. Its also an unregulated business so anybody can open a school. Most schools are lousy and most instructors are as well.

There is really no getting around a lot of practice to get the basics down. It really takes years and there is always more to learn. As an adult you really start to learn the fun stuff after you get a black belt which takes about 5 years in our school. The people that are really good have been doing it all their lives and have studied various martial arts and gone to a bunch of seminars. I'm planning on going to Okinawa for two weeks next year to train. You really learn a lot from intensive seminars like that.

We have a sparring class once a week and people can attend it from day 1 or close to that. You just have someone with a higher skill level work with the less skilled people. The kids have to use all the protective gear until they are 18. A lot of schools don't do much sparring or do no contact sparring which is kind of useless.

As for you, I have a feeling you would really enjoy it.

huggytree
02-25-2014, 06:43 PM
If you ever give it a second try, let me know. There are thousands of styles of martial arts many of which are good, but some are a better fit for different people. Its also an unregulated business so anybody can open a school. Most schools are lousy and most instructors are as well.

There is really no getting around a lot of practice to get the basics down. It really takes years and there is always more to learn. As an adult you really start to learn the fun stuff after you get a black belt which takes about 5 years in our school. The people that are really good have been doing it all their lives and have studied various martial arts and gone to a bunch of seminars. I'm planning on going to Okinawa for two weeks next year to train. You really learn a lot from intensive seminars like that.

We have a sparring class once a week and people can attend it from day 1 or close to that. You just have someone with a higher skill level work with the less skilled people. The kids have to use all the protective gear until they are 18. A lot of schools don't do much sparring or do no contact sparring which is kind of useless.

As for you, I have a feeling you would really enjoy it.

my back is having so much trouble these days I think if someone attacked me id break in 1/2.....im too old and my body is too broken for that stuff....im looking into Yoga to improve my back right now...that's going to be me and the wifes new hobby.....otherwise I will need to seek back surgery....its daily pain right now and im barely lifting anything

Wozcreative
02-25-2014, 09:37 PM
My hobbies usually include:

• Trying out something new (Going hog hunting from a helicopter is the new thing I added to my list LOL).
• Archery / Target Shooting
• Rock climbing
• Going to design events and exhibits
• Concerts (I recently went to see Skinny Puppy)
• I like painting/crafts
• Window shopping
• Going for walks at local parks

Music I'll listen to:
• Industrial, EBM, Darkwave, Powernoise (bands like, skinny puppy, funker vogt, vnv nation, assemblage 23, AndOne, Project Pitchfork etc.)
• Black Metal (Darkthrone, Immortal, Carpathian Forest, Gorgoroth etc.)
--- Pretty much mainly the old stuff I listen to when I was 14. I stopped really researching anyone new.

I don't have much time for movies so no list for that one.

Other than that.... I work.... a lot.

huggytree
03-02-2014, 05:52 PM
[QUOTE=Wozcreative;89051]My hobbies usually include:

• Trying out something new (Going hog hunting from a helicopter is the new thing I added to my list LOL).
• Rock climbing

QUOTE]

you always impress me.....impressive stuff for such a young woman...........cant believe your a Canadian!!! with a list like that........doesn't seem passive at all....have you considered moving ?

eina26
03-03-2014, 11:25 PM
Hobbies: watching TV sitcoms/series, traveling, cooking
Music: Country, Classics, Rock
Movies: Romantic Comedies, Inspirational, action

Wozcreative
03-03-2014, 11:52 PM
[QUOTE=Wozcreative;89051]My hobbies usually include:

• Rock climbing

QUOTE]

you always impress me.....impressive stuff for such a young woman...........cant believe your a Canadian!!! with a list like that........doesn't seem passive at all....have you considered moving ?

I'm actually Polish Canadian. Born in Poland initially. Being a creative person I'm always looking for something new/different to try and experience. I'm looking into moving to Pheonix, Arizona actually...

Brian Altenhofel
03-04-2014, 01:32 AM
For music, I'll pretty much listen to anything... it just depends on my mood. Some days it's country, some days it's trance, some day's it's 90's/early-00's rock (high school years, lol), some days it's rap, some days it's classical. And sometimes, I can just flip the switch from Memphis May Fire to Tbilisi Symphony Orchestra in the middle of a task.

For movies... I tend to watch a lot of documentaries. It doesn't matter if they are political, historical, or theoretical, I'll probably watch it. On the political ones, it doesn't matter if I agree with them or not, I'll watch them. I enjoy learning. That said, other than documentaries I tend to gravitate toward action and romantic comedies.

For hobbies, I'd say my chief hobbies are premium cigars (they really fixed my issues with socializing with other people), guitar (classically trained - played in a few rock groups when I was younger - still get asked every now and then to play bass for people), single malt Scotch and single barrel bourbon, firearms (I also run the Oklahoma Shooters Association forums), experiments in web development and infrastructure, and just going for a drive down dirt roads with the windows down (I can stretch a drive from here to OKC from the normal 90 minutes to 3 hours). I do have an oval track dirt car in the garage, but it got put on hold because the rule changes each year were too expensive to keep up with.

billbenson
03-04-2014, 06:03 AM
[QUOTE=huggytree;89281]

I'm actually Polish Canadian. Born in Poland initially. Being a creative person I'm always looking for something new/different to try and experience. I'm looking into moving to Pheonix, Arizona actually...

I've lived a lot of places; Near Chicago, San Francisco, Phoenix, Puerto Rico, Panama City RP (my favorite) San Salvador, El Salvador. I consider myself to be from Florida where I currently live. I also had a close to 100% travel job. 12 years covering the Eastern Seaboard of the US, 10 years covering Latin America and the Caribbean.

I like Phoenix. You have to like the hot summers (I think the perceived temp is higher in FL though) and the desert beauty. Personally I'd take a hard look at Las Vegas over Phoenix though. It's been years since I've been to either place and Harold can certainly tell you more about Las Vegas. While Las Vegas may not be the economic hub it once was, it certainly has all the restaurants and nightlife as well as the desert environment.

For me, I'd like to live in Panama in the winter months and FL in the summer months. I live near Tampa and its to cold here in the winter for me. If VoIP just gets a little bit better I can live pretty much anywhere and work.

huggytree
03-05-2014, 09:05 PM
[QUOTE=huggytree;89281]

that explains the non pacifist behavior

JC
11-28-2014, 03:52 PM
Hobbies: Guitar, working out/running, reading mainly non-fiction
Music: Mainly rock before 1990 although my current favorite is Alison Krauss
Movies: Rarely watch movies but love Sportscenter, anything with Bear Grylls, and most Gordon Ramsay shows. All time favorite is Three Stooges. :cool:

shrinkme
11-29-2014, 12:19 PM
Right now my kids are into music so I have been playing my guitar more lately. I like watching NFL games, does that count?

JC
11-29-2014, 12:25 PM
Right now my kids are into music so I have been playing my guitar more lately. I like watching NFL games, does that count?

I'd say NFL definitely counts (I'm a Lions fan)! What kind of guitar do you play?

NorCal
12-05-2014, 10:10 PM
Scuba diving is mine, but it isn't for everyone. I also take college classes that seem interesting or fun.

But mostly, I watch college football or the NFL . . . Go 49ers!