PDA

View Full Version : Do You Receive These Kind Of Offers?

vangogh
02-07-2014, 12:16 AM
If you run a website with any kind of traffic, you've probably received an email from someone you don't know asking if you'll promote their product or service without anything in return for you. You know the kind. Theres nothing personal in the email so you can tell the person sending it has no idea who you are. It's likely the same form email sent to plenty of other bloggers.

If you've ever gotten one of these emails, you'll probably find this funny. Dear Josh (http://bokardo.com/archives/dear-josh/) is a designer's rewrite of one of these emails with the BS removed and the truth in it's place. It's worth a read if you get emails pitching you on pitching someone else's product or service.

Harold Mansfield
02-07-2014, 10:31 AM
That's funny and accurate. Beleive it or not, I still get requests for link exchanges too.

KristineS
02-07-2014, 12:17 PM
Oh that's funny. I get requests for this sort of thing all the time. And requests for link exchanges as well. It's kind of sad that some people still don't understand how things work.

vangogh
02-07-2014, 02:29 PM
I get link request emails all the time too. They go directly to the spam bin. Lately I've been getting more and more of these kind of pitches. It's amazing how many can't even be bothered to learn my name before emailing. I mean it's only right at the top of 90% of the pages on my site.

Josh's post was funny. His blog is really good in general. It's a design blog and he always has something interesting to say.

David Hunter
02-07-2014, 05:58 PM
Hahaha!! It's funny because it's true!!

vangogh
02-11-2014, 03:18 AM
I had one of these emails waiting in my inbox this morning. I debated replying with a link to this post, but decided it wasn't worth the effort. It would have been funny and interesting to see if a reply came back.

KristineS
02-11-2014, 01:14 PM
Most of the people who send these types of e-mails wouldn't get the joke.

vangogh
02-13-2014, 02:39 AM
You're probably right and I didn't send it. I would have gotten a laugh out of it though.

KristineS
02-14-2014, 11:36 AM
Sometimes amusing yourself is the only thing that matters.

vangogh
02-14-2014, 02:41 PM
I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to write a post in the same spirit as the one Josh wrote. I never do in the end, because I figure the people I'd be addressing it to would never see it. The one I'd write would take one of the emails and go through line by line offering suggestions for how it might be rewritten to actually get me to do something. All tongue-in-cheek of course. I think I'm afraid if I did write it, people would listen and the spam would become more effective. I'd rather not contribute to that.

LeadMaster
02-14-2014, 03:19 PM
He makes good points ;] Years and years of commitment to building an audience only to be spammed by others wanting to piggy back.