PDA

View Full Version : I Bought a New House

vangogh
01-22-2014, 02:43 AM
Ok it's only in my dreams, but here it is (http://design-milk.com/thai-ultimate-paradise-dusit-thani-maldives/). Scroll down the page to see the house. Seriously who wouldn't want to live there. I want to buy the whole island. Again it's only happening in my dreams. I think if I ever moved in, I would never leave. Did you see that sunset? How clear the water is?

Sadly it's not actually for sale. It's part of a resort. $900/night for the villas. $6500 a night for the private breach house. The article I linked to has it right. That definitely looks like paradise.

billbenson
01-22-2014, 03:28 AM
That's pretty - and I've been to a lot of beautiful Caribbean beaches.

Freelancier
01-22-2014, 06:02 AM
We closed last week on our second rental property at Disney World. I'm here now shopping for furniture for it (it was a giant empty after previous owner went into foreclosure). We're done buying at Disney. The next one, probably in late 2015, will be somewhere on the Gulf Coast, close enough to the water to be able to watch the sunsets and walk out on the beach in the morning. That one we'll rent as well... until we retire and then we'll live in it.

Of course, all this could change if the coming El Nino generates a bunch of hurricanes....

But it's good to have a dream... We just like to work toward our dreams. Gives us something to do.

KristineS
01-22-2014, 01:18 PM
You freaked me out for a minute there. I figured if you were planning to buy a house, I'd probably know.

That is a gorgeous place. Definitely would be fun to have a house there.

vangogh
01-22-2014, 02:25 PM
You freaked me out for a minute there.

Yeah the subject of this thread, was kind of meant to get that reaction from some people.

huggytree
01-22-2014, 03:28 PM
id be bored in 1 day there

its my idea of a place to visit if I were a newlywed with other things on my mind, but for me sitting in a chair getting sun gets boring pretty quick

I prefer vacations with continuous action...beach day is good for 1 day

I like snorkeling, so that's most likely how id spend my 1 day before I blew my brains out

Wozcreative
01-22-2014, 05:07 PM
My idea of awesome house is somewhere in the mountains where I can go mountain climbing, ice climbing, dirt biking, painting, water sports. I also like seasons but prefer it to be a bit milder then I have it in Toronto now :/

Either way that is a beautiful place. I'm sure i could find tons of things to do though! Then again, I bought a condo 6 years ago in the heart of my city and theres theatres a theatre, an outdoor stage, skating rink, giant mall all walking distance (across the street literally). And I barely go to any of that.

Freelancier
01-22-2014, 05:53 PM
I like snorkeling, so that's most likely how id spend my 1 day before I blew my brains out

It's good to have a plan.

billbenson
01-22-2014, 07:39 PM
It's good to have a plan.

What, a plan to blow your brains out? :)

Huggy, look at it from the standpoint of those of us who work long hours in front of a computer. I could be anywhere. I'm in a 11' x 11' office on the phone and staring at a computer frequently 12 hours a day. To me it would be a lot nicer to get up, walk out on the outside deck facing the water with a cup of coffee and start my workday. Think about people that have real jobs. They often drive to work for an hour and are trapped in a cubicle for 8 hours and drive home for an hour.

There are places like this that are 15 minutes or less from a major city. On weekends or evenings you can drive into the city for restaurants, shopping etc.

When I was 25 (and making good money) I had a house on the Florida Intracoastal Waterway. I had a dock, a ski boat, a fishing boat, and a room mate who was a chick magnet. 5 minutes from 4 star restaurants. I should never have sold that house. I can't afford to rebuy it today.

vangogh
01-23-2014, 12:17 AM
My idea of awesome house is somewhere in the mountains where I can go mountain climbing, ice climbing, dirt biking, painting, water sports. I also like seasons but prefer it to be a bit milder then I have it in Toronto now

That comes close to describing where I live now. Not a lot of water sports, but everything else you can find nearby and there might even be a few lakes around where water sports are ok. Depends on the sport.

To me it would be a lot nicer to get up, walk out on the outside deck facing the water with a cup of coffee and start my workday.

Kind of what I was thinking too. We're both assuming the place is wired inside for all the latest technology. Not that I live in a bad place. I actually like very much where I live, but it would be nice having that view with a laptop on my lap working away. Take a dip in the pool or the ocean in the afternoon. Seems so relaxing there.

billbenson
01-23-2014, 12:40 AM
Kind of what I was thinking too. We're both assuming the place is wired inside for all the latest technology. Not that I live in a bad place. I actually like very much where I live, but it would be nice having that view with a laptop on my lap working away. Take a dip in the pool or the ocean in the afternoon. Seems so relaxing there.

I think the confusion is are we talking about a place to retire or a place to live and work. I'm referring to the latter. If the beach isn't your thing, then a place with a lot of windows and a scenic view, whatever that is.

vangogh
01-23-2014, 01:58 AM
I think I could retire there or live and work. I expect when retirement comes I'll be happy laying on a beach most of the time and ideally will have enough money to travel where I want when I'd like a different view.

billbenson
01-23-2014, 02:34 AM
Same here, but I live in FL and have lived in the Caribbean and Central America. I love the tropics. I do want easy access to first world stuff though. The place I've lived and enjoyed the most was Panama City, Panama (not to be confused with Panama City FL). A bit on the hot side, but they had everything there and living was cheap. I used to have a guy show up at my front gate and honk his horn. He would go to the fish market and buy fresh fish and come by to sell it. I used to buy head on shrimp that were huge and make a shrimp bisque out of them. Summertime and the living was easy...

vangogh
01-24-2014, 02:14 AM
Yeah, this probably isn't too far off from some place you've lived. I would imagine this place has good access to things since it's a resort, but then again maybe people go specifically to escape the modern world. I'd need connection to live there. I'd want the house to be wired as much as possible. Otherwise I could only take short vacation there. Then again maybe after a few days of not being connected, I'd decide I prefer that lifestyle.

David Hunter
01-24-2014, 10:19 AM
Beautiful place!! I could vacation there, but not live there.

Gabe
01-26-2014, 12:46 PM
Definitely a nice place.

I think it's an interesting concept. We dream about these places and all of the things we're going to do when we get there. For example, I live in San Diego. There's offroading in dune buggys, going to the beach, running/biking/hiking trails, kayaking, Snorkeling, Disneyland, skiing a couple hours away in Big Bear, Hollywood, Catalina Island, the San Diego Zoo, visiting Mexico, going down town to the clubs and bars, Coronado Island, the horse races in Del Mar, the fair, Las Vegas 4hrs away, Joshua Tree, and a lot more.

...and I barely do any of it. I think I've been kayaking once, to the beach twice, the zoo once, and a few other things. I enjoy the weather, but barely do anything around here. Maybe it's just the thought of knowing I could? *shrug*

Well it's January and it's around 70 degrees outside. Let me go check the mail in a tank top, shorts, and flip flops :p

vangogh
01-28-2014, 02:57 PM
Shhh, don't tell Kristine about your weather. She's getting tired of all the snow in Michigan.

We're only seeing the pictures from one island, but the Maldives are a chain of islands in the Indian Ocean.I'm not sure how long it would take to get to mainly India or Sri Lanka. Here's the island on Google Maps (https://maps.google.com/maps?num=100&q=DUSIT+THANI+MALDIVES&ie=UTF-8&ei=MQzoUvOHDsaIygH3qYGwCw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg). Zoom out to get an idea where it is.

Maybe it's not the place to live, though it certainly looks like a paradise to visit.

billbenson
01-28-2014, 03:29 PM
Definitely a nice place.

I think it's an interesting concept. We dream about these places and all of the things we're going to do when we get there. For example, I live in San Diego. There's offroading in dune buggys, going to the beach, running/biking/hiking trails, kayaking, Snorkeling, Disneyland, skiing a couple hours away in Big Bear, Hollywood, Catalina Island, the San Diego Zoo, visiting Mexico, going down town to the clubs and bars, Coronado Island, the horse races in Del Mar, the fair, Las Vegas 4hrs away, Joshua Tree, and a lot more.

...and I barely do any of it. I think I've been kayaking once, to the beach twice, the zoo once, and a few other things. I enjoy the weather, but barely do anything around here. Maybe it's just the thought of knowing I could? *shrug*

Well it's January and it's around 70 degrees outside. Let me go check the mail in a tank top, shorts, and flip flops :p

If I recall correctly, Sausalito CA has a marina that people buy houseboats and live in. They can take a drive down the river if they like. Its right next to downtown Sausalito which is a pretty cool town.

Not a lifestyle I want, but its pretty neat.