PDA

View Full Version : I did it :-) Launched my new podcast!!

Patrysha
01-09-2014, 03:23 PM
I am prouder of the achievement of actually just getting it out there than in the actual quality of the first episode, but I do hope it's the beginning of beautiful new things. I won't spam you all with the link...just following my normal signature will take you to a page with the "Around the Cauldron" podcast link on the top menu ;-) if you want to check it out...

vangogh
01-09-2014, 04:19 PM
Congrats Patrysha. I have it playing right now. I won't be able to listen to it complete right now, but I promise to listen to a complete episode before the end of the weekend. That's when I usually listen to podcasts.

Last year I started recording audio for some of my posts. Not exactly a podcast, but similar. Most are in the 10-15 minute range and it's only me. At first I was writing the posts and then using them as crutch to record the same topic. Lately I make some quick notes and then record and after I'll listen and write down the gist of what I said. A few people who aren't native English speakers asked me to keep the written posts as they could read English better than listening to it.

Harold Mansfield
01-09-2014, 07:04 PM
Congratulations!

I know from personal experience how hard it is to record voice audio, let alone put together a script for an entire program.
For that alone I commend you.
Can't wait to take a listen.

Patrysha
01-09-2014, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the support Van Gogh! I appreciate it. But you don't have to listen to the whole thing...most of it is really just nattering.

But I've booked a guest for next week now and talking with someone about the week after - so they should all be much smoother from here on out.

This is my third kick at the cat as far as being a podcast host - neither of the last two survived very long. The first because it wasn't my production - I was hired to host and produce but it was paid for/sponsored by someone else - and they didn't see a return on investment after three months and pulled the plug. The other one - I didn't research my co-host well enough and it turned out I really didn't like his style as much on the air as I had appreciated it off the air. It was a side project and not tied to my main business and it would take a while till it could monetize so I jumped after the third episode.

I wanted to be a newscaster as a teen (I wanted to be the top tv news anchor in the nation to be precise) and I went to (what ultimately turned out to be a scam-type) broadcasting school - but never followed it through to a career - so I've been very drawn to podcasting for a long while.

I have to script if I'm talking to myself. Or record in 3 second soundbytes. I can't seem to go longer than three words without saying um if I'm talking to myself - If I have somebody to talk to, it has to be unscripted I find...

LeadMaster
01-17-2014, 09:45 PM
Awesome. You have great enthusiasm and energy when you speak which livens up the show. I've listened to podcasts that started off with a monotone host which made it 10x harder to get into the podcast!

Verner
01-18-2014, 02:17 PM
Congratulations!

KristineS
01-20-2014, 12:55 PM
Good for you. I will definitely give it a listen.

Podcasting is something that appeals to me. I'm thinking it might be time to try it.

David Hunter
01-20-2014, 06:39 PM
Great job, Patrysha! I just listened to Episode 2 and you have a great voice.

What kind of program do you use to record your podcasts? Is it done over the phone, skype, or just on the computer? I've never done them before, so I don't know anything about them.

Patrysha
01-21-2014, 06:59 PM
Thanks so much guys! Yay! Listeners!! I'm not actively promoting until after I have 6 episodes in the can so it's been mostly friends and family so far...

David - I do the interviews via Skype and use the Pamela recorder and then use Audacity to edit and put it all together.

Robert360
01-22-2014, 04:28 PM
Congrats! I've always wanted to start a podcast but just to goof around with.

David Hunter
01-23-2014, 11:19 AM
I just started using the voice recorder on my phone. It has pretty good sound, but now I can edit with Audacity. Thanks for letting me know about this. :)

Patrysha
01-23-2014, 09:03 PM
If you decided to go further David, I've learned a lot from Kelly McCausey and Daniel J. Lewis.

I jumped today from self-hosting to Liberated Syndication...I was going to wait until after I had the first six done, but one listener had stalling problems so I figured making the switch now would save me headaches...

vangogh
01-30-2014, 12:47 AM
I may not have to listen, but I did say I would. I just started episode 3. I'll offer some thoughts when I've finished the episode.

David, I've been recording for the last year. Not what you typically think of as a podcast. More doing an audio version of one of my regular blogs posts. I have a pair of USB headphones and I record and edit in Garageband. Audacity isa good program too. Skype is the most common way people record others. Depending on your operating system there are programs that make it easy to capture the signal from both your computer and Skype. Lately I see a lot of people using Google Hangouts to record multiple people.

Ok, I'm back. I never really left, but I'm back to this post.

Nice job. I don't that the topic was specifically for me, but I enjoyed listening. You have a good voice. Easy to listen to. Good guess. Good interaction between you. About the only thing that wasn't quite as good as it could have been was the end. I could tell you were spicing together different parts of the recording. A little smoother editing would be better. Overall really good job. Congrats again on getting started.

Patrysha
01-30-2014, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Van Gogh!

I'll be fixing the two copy/paste glitches in that episode shortly. (There was one at the beginning too) - I had pushed myself so tight for time that the editing really was given short shrift. I called it good and posted it, but I've rethought that and will be going back to fix it before I begin promoting after episode 6.

I'm late posting episode 4, but it's a better episode for the delay and I'm really excited about episode 5 which I just recorded the guest portion this morning.

I'm starting to hit my groove and I'm so happy that I had decided in advance that I wasn't going to start promoting till episode 6. It's given me a chance to figure out the scheduling and timing for a weekly show so that once I get more than 10 listeners it will keep flowing.

David Hunter
01-30-2014, 06:07 PM
Thanks, Vangogh. That's what I'd be doing... mostly audio versions of my blogs.

I never thought about recording with Skype or Google Hangouts. Interesting....

LordVito9
01-31-2014, 01:19 AM
as a podcast fanatic i wish you the best of luck. Podcast can be a brutal thing (only as a fan) so all the best!

vangogh
01-31-2014, 02:38 AM
I had pushed myself so tight for time that the editing really was given short shrift.

I know the feeling. With my blog I stay ahead a few weeks. Tomorrow I'll be finishing posts (one written and one written with audio) that I'll publish the week of Feb 17th. Being 3 weeks ahead lets me not be so pressed for time. I find I can produce better quality that way. I probably won't finish the audio post I'll work on tomorrow, but it's no big deal. I amy even record the one I'll post the week after. If you can find a week or two to get ahead I highly recommend it.

I never thought about recording with Skype or Google Hangouts. Interesting

Skype is the most common way multiple people are recorded. The person who's recording everyone has to configure a few things to capture sound from their own computer and also from Skype. What kind of computer do you use? If you use a Mac I can point you to some software. I have a free program called Soundflower (http://cycling74.com/products/soundflower/), though I've yet to use it, since I've only recorded myself so far. Audio Hijack Pro (http://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijackpro/) is another utility that I think does more, but it's not free. It's also Mac only. I'm not sure what exists on the Windows side, but I'm sure there are similar utilities.

Google Hangouts is something I've noticed people using lately. It's usually for video, but it does audio only too. I assume with Google Hangouts it's easier to record as Google probably takes care of making sure all the different audio is combined into one.