PDA

View Full Version : To all those who have to go out in this poor weather

Fulcrum
01-07-2014, 09:01 PM
Drive safe and dress warm.

After driving in some of the worst road conditions I have ever seen the last two days (granted I am only 34), I thought I would mention it again. It did take needing to replace the front bumper and grill on my truck (sub 5mph bump and a few snowbanks to stop me) to fully realize how slippery the roads actually are.

To all those who are working hard to restore power and keep the roads, somewhat, passable - thank you.

Wozcreative
01-07-2014, 09:09 PM
Might I also add.. a reminder to clean off your trucks and cars. There are multiple reports of vehicles being struck by falling ice.

My own drive this morning was interesting, I drive a 2008 dodge nitro and my car battery couldn't withstand the -41C weather. I had to get it replaced because it stalled on me after 10 minutes of the car being turned off outside (I park 5 floors underground and it would caught out of the cold before turning on). So.. make sure your battery is good and can withstand the cold! Anything 4+ years old might have an issue. (Mine could only hold 50% charge).

Freelancier
01-08-2014, 07:08 AM
After 19 straight days with the kids at home... THEY WENT TO SCHOOL TODAY!!!

Time to celebrate!

billbenson
01-08-2014, 08:29 PM
I'm in FL. The company I represent is in northern MN. They told me yesterday that it had warmed up to 1 degree.

I grew up in a suburb of Chicago. I liked the three days a year that it was hot and humid.

Thank God we all like different climates. I was talking to someone in MN earlier and he said he would rather tolerate the cold than risk hurricanes, tornadoes, or earthquakes in other parts of the country.

cbscreative
01-08-2014, 11:38 PM
Single digits the last couple days was plenty cold but I don't mind that at all. I enjoy winter days between 5 and 15, below zero takes more getting used to but I'm perfectly willing to do that because West Michigan never gets far enough below zero to exceed what I can take. Driving is actually much better in the cold and cold keeps the roads clear once it stops snowing. Warmer temps make it slipperier and more dangerous. Today was 18 for the high...nice. I enjoyed every minute of my skiing today. Much above 15 is too warm for skiing, 20 is pushing it, and 25+ ruins it. IMO, people who live in the north and engage in the pointless exercise of complaining about the winter we're supposed to be getting should shut up and move. There are other places to live if you don't like winter. Yes, I like the climate I live in.

billbenson
01-08-2014, 11:50 PM
Good point Steve. We all have the climate options we like. You obviously like the climate where you are at. Me, I'd rather go water skiing than snow skiing, but that's what great about the US. You would hate the 5 hot months we have in FL and I would that the 5 cold months you have. Glad you are enjoying your weather.

cbscreative
01-09-2014, 01:35 PM
You're right bill, the extended hot and humid FL weather would not be my choice. MI gets nice summers with plenty of hot and humid but rarely excessive. It's enough to enjoy all the benefits of summer and water sports. AC bills usually aren't too bad and only peak for a couple months. Spring and fall provide both cold days that aren't pleasant because there's only so many things you can do but stay inside, but also warm and mild days that are very pleasant. Late spring and early fall are generally very mild and very comfortable. You gotta like variety to enjoy our climate.