PDA

View Full Version : PS4 or XBox 1 for Christmas?

huggytree
11-28-2013, 01:57 PM
I originally wanted the PS4 and have been searching for 2 weeks for one.......in that time I changed my mind and have been looking for a Xbox 1 for a few days

last night on the Target website it suddenly showed that my local Target had them in....after a phone call to verify I ran there 10 mins before closing......only TWO came in...and as I was buying mine someone else showed up with 2 mins to spare to get the 2nd one

cant wait until Christmas....already bought 3 games for good deals on Amazon.com

anyone else?

Wozcreative
11-28-2013, 02:09 PM
No. I baught a PS3 in 2006 and am happy with it. I'm not a big gamer, I like the arcade games and usually only use it for streaming videos from my mac. Then again I am also not the type to go out and buy the newest iPhones either. The changes aren't that big a deal. The only thing I will invest money on is something I use/depend on. I recently purchased a new iMac with all the bells and whistles. I won't be buying a brand new one until this one gets old or can't handle the new OS updates/software.

Regarding xbox.. not a fan of the brand. Get yourself a new iPad air for the 500, you could at least take it with you on the road or something.
The only smart thing about buying early is that the early versions usually have something built into them that the company later takes out. For example ps3 80gig one had the compatibility of playing the older games. Then they took it off the market. The con of not waiting also is that they will come out with a bigger hard drive in 5 months.

Freelancier
11-29-2013, 12:11 PM
Last Thanksgiving, we got an Xbox for our rental unit, but before taking it down there, we set it up for the kids to play over the holiday weekend... then we ended up buying one for them as well. Not going to consider the PS4 or X1 until next year when they're not full price and insufficient games out there for our kids. But we're about to buy another rental unit and thinking about whether to get another Xbox or just take the one from here (the kids stopped playing it as much after about 6 months, but sometimes they go on a binge and play for a week or two and then stop again).

We're soooo not big gamers... you have to have time that you want to waste doing that and we just don't.

huggytree
11-29-2013, 02:54 PM
You are correct about no Xbox one kids games....there's only 3 kids games out of the 23 released...and I cant stand 2 of them

I got my 9 year old Forza 5 racing and am asking relatives for some superhero lego game

there's a new Star Wars game coming next year....that will most likely be the next purchase

my kids play for 1 hour a day right now on their Wii.....a few times a week I play Mario cart with them....my son lives for his video games and my 8 year old daughter has been slowly getting into it too......my 5 year old daughter just likes sitting with them and watching....

the games I bought are full of horrible violence and language....so I can only play them for an hour or so a night after the kids are in bed

I wish they had an option for the language....some of the war/shooter games say the F word every sentence....I wouldn't mind letting my son play them for the violence part, but don't want him learning swear words......if they have a 1 on 1 battle mode I may play with him

smartlink
11-30-2013, 02:23 AM
I'm going with PS4. I'm a playstation supporter since ps1.

Harold Mansfield
11-30-2013, 01:49 PM
I don't game as much as a I used to, but being a user of a lot of Windows products, Fantasy Football, and Skype.. XBOX ONE looks pretty slick to me and I think that's what I'll get after the holidays.

huggytree
12-01-2013, 09:37 AM
I don't game as much as a I used to, but being a user of a lot of Windows products, Fantasy Football, and Skype.. XBOX ONE looks pretty slick to me and I think that's what I'll get after the holidays.

their whole Kinect system works off of voice commands...it recognizes your face when you walk into the room and can follow multiple peoples commands...whoever is in the room can give it commands and it will follow those commands based upon the users Kinect settings.....Skype is really cool...it actually follows the person around the room...you can walk around the room and the camera will follow you and zoom in and out

im spending all my free time researching this thing......I have 25 more days until I can use it....im counting it down

Dan Furman
12-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Big time gamer here. Xbox One is definitely on the list - I won't wait on line or chase it down, but the minute I see one available, I'm buying it.

Love my 360 - prettymuch use it daily. I like all kinds of games. Right now, I'm playing the new Xcom release.

Didn't take you for a gamer, Huggy. Although I think you are a little younger than I am (I'm 47), so the classic stereotypes (blue collar guys = non tech / non game / etc) don't really apply to younger guys. My age group is kind of the cutoff - I'd say it's 50/50 of a guy my age being into games or at least a little tech savvy.

billbenson
12-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Out of curiosity, do you have any games that have either intellectual value or other value such as coordination? I've never looked into it because I have always viewed it as a time waster.

Wozcreative
12-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Out of curiosity, do you have any games that have either intellectual value or other value such as coordination? I've never looked into it because I have always viewed it as a time waster.

Games usually let me "relax".. however I rarely EVER play because I feel guilty that I have so much more productive things that need to get done.

Harold Mansfield
12-03-2013, 06:53 PM

OMG man! There are thousands of games, tutorials and educational programs for you to run on your game system. Everything from instructionals that teach you how to play guitar, to work out and exercise programs. Between the full body motion sensors, cameras, and plug in peripherals the sky is almost the limit.

These are light years past my first Atari 2600 with the Space Invaders cartridge.

Freelancier
12-03-2013, 07:25 PM
my first Atari 2600 with the Space Invaders cartridge

You're so young. Pong.

billbenson
12-04-2013, 01:27 AM
OMG man! There are thousands of games, tutorials and educational programs for you to run on your game system. Everything from instructionals that teach you how to play guitar, to work out and exercise programs. Between the full body motion sensors, cameras, and plug in peripherals the sky is almost the limit.

These are light years past my first Atari 2600 with the Space Invaders cartridge.

I'll take that as a yes :)

huggytree
12-06-2013, 04:12 PM
Big time gamer here. Xbox One is definitely on the list - I won't wait on line or chase it down, but the minute I see one available, I'm buying it.

Love my 360 - prettymuch use it daily. I like all kinds of games. Right now, I'm playing the new Xcom release.

Didn't take you for a gamer, Huggy. Although I think you are a little younger than I am (I'm 47), so the classic stereotypes (blue collar guys = non tech / non game / etc) don't really apply to younger guys. My age group is kind of the cutoff - I'd say it's 50/50 of a guy my age being into games or at least a little tech savvy.

im age 43

ive been into video games since 1978 when my friend has Super Pong...wow what a game....I owned a Atari 2600 and used to get 2 games a month from my paper route money(age 12-14)....I used to live for my Atari games back then

I have had about 7 different systems over the years....I have a PS1 and a Wii currently....im not much of a gamer anymore....the games today require a commitment...almost daily to achieve anything....I enjoy playing Mario Cart with the kids a few times a week....I love to trash talk my kids during the game to mess with them....my son gets angry and picks the difficult tracks that you have to memorize....I fall off the track every turn and he laughs at me...

I am into fast cars.....so I love racing video games....2 of my kids do too, so im hoping Forza 4 will be a hit for us....too bad it doesn't have 3 player

I really like shooter games....battle field 4 looks amazing....I finished call of dutyWWII for my PS1 long ago...I enjoyed it a lot...every night I used to play it....when I was laid off for months once I played Spyro the dragon all day long...I was newly married and my new wife really liked her lazy husband doing nothing all day(she didn't like it at all)......the last game I got into on the Wii was Call of Duty black ops...I got 1/2 way through it and then our Wii died...when we replaced the Wii unit with a new/used one I lost all my gains......so I gave up

I love guns and shooting...I cant wait to play PF4...the video's I see on utube look just my style

the biggest problem I have it the language in the games....the F word is used every few seconds....so I can only play after 8-9pm.....and of course its right under my sons room....im realistic..he already knows the word...and im sure he can hear my games too....but at least he knows its not acceptable for little kids and its trying to be hidden from him.

huggytree
12-06-2013, 04:17 PM

I have a game for my PS1 called Pipe Dreams....its a Plumbing video game...where you need to connect pipes ahead of the water flowing.....its a brain/puzzle game.....I had to get it since im a plumber

I still haven't opened the X1 yet....boy ive been tempted....especially because my work is slow and im sitting around the house 1/2 days.....if I open it ill ruin the surprise for the kids.... my kids see the commercials every day and talk about the Wii U and the Xbox 1 all the time....

Wozcreative
12-10-2013, 08:59 AM
I have a game for my PS1 called Pipe Dreams....its a Plumbing video game...where you need to connect pipes ahead of the water flowing.....its a brain/puzzle game.....I had to get it since im a plumber

I played that one!

huggytree
12-10-2013, 06:05 PM
I played that one!

you and me were the only ones....I showed my kids and they said yuck

Brian Altenhofel
12-11-2013, 02:47 PM
I'm a PC gamer - mostly Battlefield 4 and Flightgear. Used to do a lot of racing sims, but haven't had a wheel for a few years.

I got a PS4 as an early "Christmas" prize from New Relic (real-time performance monitoring for websites and applications). Actually, I had the choice of Xbox One or PS4, but I've never liked the Xbox controllers. My last console was a PS2 that died shortly after the PS3 came out.

When Gran Turismo comes out for it, I'm going to have to lock it in a room that my wife only has the key to. I used to do the 12 hour endurance races back in 2004/2005.

huggytree
12-14-2013, 01:48 PM
the Grandfather just sent us $100 to use for the family---so we just ordered Just Dance 2014 for the girls and Lego Marvel super hero's for the boy....we will now have 5 games to start with on Christmas Morning.......

Christmas week looks like a very slow to no work week....so it will be difficult for me to be sitting around the house and not pull the Xbox One out of storage and ruin my kids Christmas Surprise.

huggytree
12-14-2013, 01:50 PM
I'm a PC gamer - mostly Battlefield 4 and Flightgear. Used to do a lot of racing sims, but haven't had a wheel for a few years.

I got a PS4 as an early "Christmas" prize from New Relic (real-time performance monitoring for websites and applications). Actually, I had the choice of Xbox One or PS4, but I've never liked the Xbox controllers. My last console was a PS2 that died shortly after the PS3 came out.

When Gran Turismo comes out for it, I'm going to have to lock it in a room that my wife only has the key to. I used to do the 12 hour endurance races back in 2004/2005.

Ive never used the Xbox controllers......Id think any controller can be gotten used to.....I thought I read somewhere that xbox has gotten ahead of ps4 on sales....I know ps4 was more popular in Nov.

Brian Altenhofel
12-15-2013, 09:11 AM
To me it's an ergonomics thing. My left hand starts to have pain issues at my thumb and wrist after ~2 hours on the Xbox. I can play for 12+ hours on a Playstation with zero issues.

Wozcreative
12-15-2013, 12:37 PM
To me it's an ergonomics thing. My left hand starts to have pain issues at my thumb and wrist after ~2 hours on the Xbox. I can play for 12+ hours on a Playstation with zero issues.

Interesting, I have the same issue with the xbox controllers.. they are too big for my fingers.

Brian Altenhofel
12-16-2013, 06:54 AM
Interesting, I have the same issue with the xbox controllers.. they are too big for my fingers.

It's not the size for me (I have large hands and long fingers - I play guitar and can stretch the first 6 frets easily). The best example I can give is take a look at where your thumbs rest on the keyboard. With a PS4 controller, the joysticks are pretty close to the spacebar. With an Xbox controller, the left joystick is between the H and J keys on a standard QWERTY layout.

huggytree
12-21-2013, 07:57 AM
im still holding out....I didn't open the xbox yet....looks like ill make it to Christmas......I bought a few more games and am now up to 5.......3 of them specifically for the kids...

I have been checking the 2014 releases....pretty much nothing for kids....its shocking xbox lets the Wii be the kids game box......it seems like 90% of the games for the Wii are for kids while 98% of the games for the xbox are shooters

almost every game I see coming out next year for the xbox involved shooting or stabbing people as the whole basis for the game....I don't mind a few shooters, but it seems over the top when virtually every game is about killing people

CD2Solutions
01-07-2014, 11:11 AM

the controller on the xbox one is a fair bit smaller.

im still holding out....I didn't open the xbox yet....looks like ill make it to Christmas......I bought a few more games and am now up to 5.......3 of them specifically for the kids...

I have been checking the 2014 releases....pretty much nothing for kids....its shocking xbox lets the Wii be the kids game box......it seems like 90% of the games for the Wii are for kids while 98% of the games for the xbox are shooters

almost every game I see coming out next year for the xbox involved shooting or stabbing people as the whole basis for the game....I don't mind a few shooters, but it seems over the top when virtually every game is about killing people

there are a few that arent shooters, like the crew and watchdogs.

problem with the wii and wii u is they have the same game released yearly, usually party related games like mario party or something. then more mario, followed by mario, with some extra mario. the wii u is dying which wont help matters either, and the wii is essentially dead anyway.

CD2Solutions
01-07-2014, 11:16 AM
Regarding xbox.. not a fan of the brand. Get yourself a new iPad air for the 500, you could at least take it with you on the road or something.
The only smart thing about buying early is that the early versions usually have something built into them that the company later takes out. For example ps3 80gig one had the compatibility of playing the older games. Then they took it off the market. The con of not waiting also is that they will come out with a bigger hard drive in 5 months.

microsoft have never removed a feature as far as i remember. when they stopped development on back compatibity they left it there for people to use, same as the hddvd drive software. sony on the other hand, have an extremely dubious history with feature removal. one feature that some specifically bought it for, along with playing games, was the "other os" feature. users were given the choice of "update and remove it, or dont connect to psn", thereby removing at least one feature that was effectively paid for.

also re the ipad air: not really comparable to a full blown games console, especially in a family situation. cant really huddle around a 10 inch screen......

Joeyhenderson8610
01-07-2014, 10:29 PM
Honestly I don't know why but I always always a Nintendo guy then as I got older moved to x box. For some reason playstation never really appealed to me.

Dan Furman
01-10-2014, 09:58 PM
I think I'll buy the new xbox tomorrow :)

huggytree
01-12-2014, 05:09 PM
I think I'll buy the new xbox tomorrow :)

congrats.....let me know how you like it....I couldn't get the TV guide to work...it wouldn't work with my Time Warner TV Box.....so im missing out on some of the neat stuff

let me know what games you have....I see you as a JUST DANCE kinda guy?

my kids love the lego marvel game

I barely play my shooter games(don't have time or feel like it for the 1 hour I get to myself before bed)

im hoping for some new games for the family in 2014...so far it looks like 90% are shooters or about dungeons and dragons though

not much variety

huggytree
01-12-2014, 05:12 PM
I wish Xbox had a fun family game like Mario cart....my whole family can play it.....4 players at a time....with the Xbox other than just dance its limited to 1 or 2 players

cant get my daughters into Forza 4...they want Mario and powerups, not a real racing game

Dan Furman
01-12-2014, 05:39 PM
congrats.....let me know how you like it....I couldn't get the TV guide to work...it wouldn't work with my Time Warner TV Box.....so im missing out on some of the neat stuff

let me know what games you have....I see you as a JUST DANCE kinda guy?

my kids love the lego marvel game

I barely play my shooter games(don't have time or feel like it for the 1 hour I get to myself before bed)

im hoping for some new games for the family in 2014...so far it looks like 90% are shooters or about dungeons and dragons though

not much variety

Got sick this weekend - didn't buy it. Didn't leave the house, in fact.

I like some shooters, some rpg's, etc. My favorite games are skyrim, The Fallout games, Mass Effect games, football games (Madden and 2k), some strategy (like xcom), and a shooter is always fun. I can't wait for the new Thief game. I love Thief (I love stealth games in general - Dishonored is great fun.)

Yea, I'm all about JUST DANCE... I'll get right on that (is the extreme sarcasm coming through?) :)

In looking at xbox one launch lineup, it's not that impressive. The above-mentioned Thief is my "must have". I'll probably buy Ryse, and maybe Dead Rising 3 as well. Titanfall looks amazing too.

I'm big on games. I bet I buy at least 20 games a year, and trade in at least 50-75% of them. I'm a big fan of trading in/selling games, but I know that's going away. Bummer.

Harold Mansfield
01-12-2014, 06:31 PM
I wish Xbox had a fun family game like Mario cart....my whole family can play it.....4 players at a time....with the Xbox other than just dance its limited to 1 or 2 players

cant get my daughters into Forza 4...they want Mario and powerups, not a real racing game

Mario Cart 8 is coming out for XBOX One in 2014.

huggytree
01-14-2014, 09:49 PM
I just checked and couldn't really find anything that says Mario Cart8 and Xbox together.....I thought ALL the Mario stuff was Wii Only.....I see reference to it, but when I click it doesn't verify it....my kids will be thrilled if its true

Dan--you can play dead rising for free(for 2x) on Xbox Gold....it was pretty cool for the 5 mins I lasted...

Harold Mansfield
01-14-2014, 10:31 PM
I just checked and couldn't really find anything that says Mario Cart8 and Xbox together.....I thought ALL the Mario stuff was Wii Only.....I see reference to it, but when I click it doesn't verify it....my kids will be thrilled if its true

Sorry. I may have jumped the gun on that one. I read an article about new games for 2014 and it mentioned Mario Cart 8, but it wasn't for XBOX One. What it was saying was that Kinect Sports Rivals could be the "Mario Cart" equivalent for XBOX One.
News: Kinect Sports Rivals could be Xbox One's Mario Kart, says Rare - lots of free DLC planned - Total Xbox.com (http://www.oxm.co.uk/63596/kinect-sports-rivals-could-be-xbox-ones-mario-kart-says-rare-lots-of-free-dlc-planned/)

My bad Huggy. Didn't mean to get you hyped on false info.

huggytree
01-16-2014, 07:05 PM
I have a free version of sports rivals...its jet ski racing...it stinks...my kids wont even play it with me

the control is neat..you just stand there and squat...your right hand is the throttle and left hand the brake....your body controls everything...kids look at it and say yuck

Robert360
01-22-2014, 04:31 PM
Christmas has come and gone but I'd still like to give my opinion. Whenever a new video game console comes out, I prefer to wait and see what issues they have before buying one. By the time I buy one all or most of the issues will already have been dealt with.

Wozcreative
01-22-2014, 05:10 PM
I enjoy my lego harry potter on the ps3 :p

trunker
01-27-2014, 04:20 AM
PS4 for sure. I think they are going to be more innovative than Xbox. But all I play is Bf4 so go figure.

Harold Mansfield
05-30-2014, 11:48 AM
I just got an XBOX One ( finally) and I love it!

I used to be a big gamer when I was younger, mostly First person shooters and sports games, but haven't had a new console since the original XBOX (which I still have and still works).
I struggled with the PS4 or XBOX decision for a while. Read a lot of reviews, and watched a lot of review and demonstration videos.

At the end of the day what it came down to for me was that I really liked the complete entertainment management functionality of the XBOX One.
The snap screen so that you can do 2 things at once.
The TV functionality.
The NFL and Fantasy Football integration ( HUGE for me).
The fact that they own Skype and it's integrated and comes with the Kinect camera.
The fact that I already use Windows products and have a MS account.
The Smart Glass app.
The facial and voice recognition functionality. And it works!
The voice commands.
The gesture commands.
The fact that you can log into ANY XBOX One machine with facial recognition and have all of your settings, games and account information accessible. (That's some real Minority Report stuff right there.)

The PS4 may be a "true gamers" machine to some, but as far as technology goes the XBOX One is far superior and for me, had the more attractive options and functionality.

I'm glad I went with it.