PDA

View Full Version : If you Could do it all over Again...What would you do Differently?

mer7cer7
11-27-2013, 01:18 PM
Hey guys, if you were 18 (or younger for some of you) and could start your small business all over again...what would you do differently?

Personally, I would be more of a doer than a researcher.

I would seek out people in the field I am interested in and work with them or ask for their advice. My past small businesses I over researched thing (I'm talking months here) and execute my "flawless" plan only to make no money. :rolleyes:

KristineS
11-27-2013, 05:08 PM
I think letting fear stop me would be my biggest regret. I'm just now working on starting up something, and I probably could have done so years ago had I not been discouraged by what might happen if things don't work.

billbenson
12-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Actually there is pretty much nothing in life that I wouldn't do differently in hindsite. Ya, I've made some good decisions, but they could have been done better. Made plenty of bad decisions.

Wozcreative
12-06-2013, 01:02 AM
I generally do a lot of thinking before I do things. If anything if I had to do everything allover again.. I would have "Liked" my circumstances/hardships (which I don't have control over) to be a lot easier on me, but I know if they were.. I'd probably be a potatoe and much less motivated.

huggytree
12-06-2013, 04:23 PM
ive achieved more in life than I dreamed of......ive accomplished all my life goals......I have 3 kids...I would have liked 1 or 2 more, but my wife had some female issues that stopped the family at 3 kids.....so I guess if I wanted more kids I could have married someone different(joking of course...im very lucky to have found my wife)

when I was in high school (1988) I was told w/o college I would make $15k a year.....to me that was calling me a loser for not going to college.....because of it ive always tried to excel in everything ive ever done....ive always tried to move up into the highest paid job at every company I worked at....when I was in printing I was the top guy in the prepress...at age 19 I got to work on the Playboy Centerfolds every month....I assembled the pages out of film and put it together using masks(before computers took over the prepress)....I made sure those girls were perfect!....how many 19 year olds would have been jealous of me?

ive been in business since 2006 and most of my decisions have been good.....I think ive made the best decisions I personally am able to make...so I wouldn't have done anything different there....

I make more $$ than I ever dreamed of (by double or triple) ...I can buy anything I want at this point....im blessed, lucky and a workaholic

maybe if I had it all to do again id be an adult film star.....hmmmmmm.....can I still do that at age 43? im still in shape, still have all my hair

Jim Gillum
12-10-2013, 12:42 AM
I would have picked rich parents.....

Before I retired I had a good run.....

Made some mistakes and think I learned from most of them....
Someone mentioned earlier....hindsight is 20/20....

Who is to say that some of the "not so good" decisions, really turned out better than the "other" choices.... :)

Looking back over my 70 years......Glad I made it this far.....

Harold Mansfield
12-10-2013, 11:19 AM
If I could go back, I would have quit tending bar 10 years sooner and started one of my old business ideas. I still kick myself for not starting that business. The business plan was solid, interest from potential clients was good....I even had the killer/perfect domain registered for it.

Now someone else owns the domain, and a different person started a simular business using the name...although they aren't doing anything near what I was going to do with it.

Who's to say if I would have been successful, but there's still a need, very few service providers filling it, and most companies in the field don't last or offer the professionalism that I had envisioned.

It still feels like the one that got away.